Re: No access to gallery sims 4 legacy

by dzm06

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The Sims 4 Mac Legacy Edition thread

[ Edited ]

There seems to be a lot of confusion and potential issues for some attempting to download and install the Legacy Edition of the Sims 4. This thread aims to answer some common questions and also serve as a help thread for those needing further clarification and assistance. I am merging all current threads into it so as not to clog up the Mac forum with multiple posts on the same issue and also to not drown out those needing help on other issues. @EA_Mai has already posted a very helpful and informative sticky here, please read it together with this post before leaving a comment, your question has probably already been answered.

Update 18.04.23 - The Legacy version will no longer launch, users will instead get an unsupported hardware error message. There is no fix for this. In order to play the Sims 4 you must be using a Metal compatible Mac

Update 14.11.22 - From 12 December 2022 the Legacy Edition of the game will no longer be available to download. In order to play the Sims 4 you must be using a Metal compatible Mac (source).

Q. Do I need to download and install the Legacy Edition of The Sims 4?

A. Prior to December 2022 you could download and install the Sims 4 Legacy Edition if you were running a Mac that does not support Metal. The following Macs DO NOT support Metal:

Q. My Mac supports Metal but still forces me to install the Legacy Edition

A. Make sure you are running macOS 10.11.6 El Capitan or later. The current version of the game will not run on previous versions of macOS.

Q. Will downloading the Legacy Edition on a Mac which supports Metal fix any game issues I am experiencing?

A. No! The Legacy Edition is ONLY for those with Macs that are not Metal compatible. If your Mac supports Metal it will attempt to load the normal version of the game. The Legacy Edition is NOT A FIX for game issues on supported computers.

Q. Origin is prompting me to install the Legacy Edition, how do I do that?

A. The Legacy Edition is no longer available for download.

Q. My Mac is running macOS El Capitan/Sierra/High Sierra, why can't I run the current version of the game?

A. Some 2010 - 2011 model Macs can run versions of macOS up to and including macOS High Sierra 10.13 but do not support Metal. This is because the Intel/AMD/NVIDIA video cards Apple used in these machines do not support Metal.

Q. Is my Mac 64-bit?

A. Yes! The 32-bit instruction for The Sims 4 Legacy Edition is only applicable to Windows users. The Sims 4 has always been 64-bit for Mac. Please disregard any and all comments regarding the 32-bit application of the Sims 4 that you read anywhere on the internet, it does not apply to Mac users.

Q. I cannot access the Gallery in the Legacy Edition

A. The Legacy Edition does not support any online features.

Q. I am not receiving any new game features introduced in new patches such as the hot tub, firemen, Alt window placement, platforms, scenarios, infants etc.

A. Patches released for the current version of the game were not applied to the Legacy Edition, although the game did appear to update.

Q. I've purchased and installed an Expansion/Game/Stuff Pack/Kits through Origin but it is not showing up in my game.

A. Packs released since November 2019 were not compatible with the Legacy Edition. Realm of Magic was the last legacy compatible Pack.

Q. Will my Mods and CC work in the Legacy Edition?

A. No idea, you need to check with the creator that they are Legacy Edition compatible. EA are not responsible for 3rd party content working in the game.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 50 of 849 (74,245 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: The Sims 4 Mac Legacy Edition thread

[ Edited ]

Marking as the solution for visibility

Back in November 2022 EA announced the Legacy Edition of Sims 4 would be officially sunset and no longer available. Users were however still able to play it if it was already installed on their Mac. As of the 18 April 2023 game patch, 1.97.42.1230, it appears the Legacy Edition will no longer run at all on non-Metal supported Macs. If you have an unsupported Mac listed in the FAQ on page 1 (above this solution) your only option to play The Sims 4 is to install the game on a Metal supported Mac.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 744 of 849 (16,994 Views)

All Replies

No access to gallery sims 4 legacy

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I have updated to sims 4 legacy like origin asked. Now i cant access the online gallery is it going to be stuck like this?

I have a 2014 macbook pro 

Also does this mean i wont be able to buy sims 4 university when its released?

Message 1 of 849 (74,344 Views)

forced legacy edition on os catalina

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I currently have Mac OS Catalina 10.15.1

I thought I was covered as far as not having to download the Legacy Edition, but it seems that origin was trying to download it today.

Here are my specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

Processor: 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

If I need to provide anything else, please let me know! I also apologize if there is already a thread somewhere solving this question. Thank you!

Message 2 of 849 (74,157 Views)

★★ Apprentice

The Legacy Edition:

Will have no new content or bug fixes

Disables online features (No gallery, game banners or social integrations)

Does not support any pack after September 2019 (starting with Discover University)

Here’s the link to their FAQ:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-and-Feedback/The-Sims-4-Update-on-Supported-Systems/m-p...
It sucks. I’m sorry.

Message 3 of 849 (74,325 Views)

★★★ Novice

Is there any way you can take it out? I thought it was a new patch update, but it ruined my game. Things I had in my old game that I cherish, I don't know how to get back. I just want the legacy off my game.

Message 4 of 849 (74,316 Views)

Champion (Retired)

You will need to upgrade your MacOS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 5 of 849 (74,305 Views)

Hero
@Pr1nc3ssam13 Moving this to the mac forum.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 849 (74,277 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@KitKatsMadison I tried to halt the update and just stay in the version I had but it didn’t work. Where it usually had “play” had an “upgrade”. The upgrade bricked my normal game. I think it’s Legacy or nothing. I’m pissed off enough right now that I’m leaning toward nothing.
Message 7 of 849 (74,280 Views)

Issue opening The Sims 4 Legacy Edition for Mac

★★★★ Apprentice

I can't seem to open The Sims 4 anymore even after having the Legacy Edition installed on my Mac. After having dowloaded the latest patch (Nov 12th) and opening The Sims in Origin I got an error message telling me there was an initialization error and told me to download the Legacy version of the game from Origin. After downloading and installing it I tried opening the game again but still got the same error message (without asking me to download Legacy). I honestly don't know what I am doing wrong and I'd appreciate any tips on what I could/should do to play my game again.

Message 8 of 849 (74,319 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide
@Pr1nc3ssam13 What MacBook Pro do you have? What GPU is in it? According to this Wikipedia page ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro ) your MBPro can use Mojave and Catalina, so this means the GPU SHOULD support Metal. This means you shouldn't be required to use Legacy Edition.

What version of macOS do you have installed? The first version of macOS that contained Metal support was El Capitan (10.11), but the version that shipped with your laptop was Mavericks (10.9). Have upgraded to a newer macOS? If you haven't, can you consider moving forward to at least 10.11?
Message 9 of 849 (74,264 Views)