The Sims 4 Mac Legacy Edition thread

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Re: Sims 4 - Initialization error at startup on macOS High Sierra

★★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora I do have a different question and maybe you know the answer. So, my MacBook Pro does have 64 bits but still had to install Legacy Edition because of that Metal thing. Now, will Discover University work with that or no?
Message 71 of 849 (4,226 Views)

★ Apprentice
@lehoeven no, Discover University only works with metal
Message 72 of 849 (4,213 Views)

@lehoeven

Moved your post to the general Legacy thread, there are so many issues at the moment that it's good practice to keep the different threads on topic Standard smile

64-bit is irrelevant (see the opening post on page 1), if your Mac does not support Metal then you cannot install Discover University.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 73 of 849 (4,211 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora Ah thank you. Well, that’s unfortunate haha! Really wish I had found something about this before pre-ordering. Thanks anyway!
Message 74 of 849 (4,206 Views)

Re: The Sims 4 Legacy Edition thread

@mahalia2007

Your Mac does not support Metal, there is a list here of Macs that are unsupported and must now play the Legacy Edition - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/The-Sims-4-Legacy-Edition-thread/m-p/8420037#M22694

@georgialee90

Yes, if you add Gallery items to your Library they are saved in the Sims 4 > Tray folder so in theory you should just be able to copy those across. Unless there is metadata attached so only the Origin account you used to download them can load them in-game.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 75 of 849 (4,205 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@lehoeven I had this exact problem!!! Made me downliad legacy when have a 64 bit mac. I updated my mac to Catalina then once that had done. Went onto origin and clicked on the sims ( not legacy version) and it worked perfectly and all online features. Hopefully you can get it sorted Standard smile
Message 76 of 849 (4,171 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Pr1nc3ssam13 I’m so excited that it worked out for you!! Unfortunately, my MacBook Pro is too old and can’t be updated to newer versions than High Sierra. But I’m glad you can still play the game and future packs!
Message 77 of 849 (4,167 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@lehoeven Ahhh no Frown that sucks!!! I hope ea can sort something for the people that have spend hundreds and now can't buy the new games xx
Message 78 of 849 (4,163 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Pr1nc3ssam13 I hope so too! I honestly have every expansion, game and stuff pack, so I can’t complain. I’m just glad the game works at all! As for my laptop, it’s been seven years now haha and she’s getting a little old. Maybe I should think about investing in a new one and maybe, coincidentally, I will be able to play future packs Standard smile.
Message 79 of 849 (4,147 Views)

Re: The Sims 4 Legacy Edition thread

★ Novice

Thanks! Sadly, I won’t be able to continue to use my Mac desktop to play the sims. I have a MacBook Air that I can use but that’s my laptop I use for school. This sucks 😫

Message 80 of 849 (4,145 Views)