Re: The Sims 4 Legacy Edition thread

by dzm06

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@dzm06Thank you for your very clear explanation about Metal.

Basicly it comes down to this (correct me if I'm wrong):
Mac models from 2011 or earlier have a graphics driver that doesn't support Metal. Therefor they have to use the Legacy Edition in order to play (once it gets fixed that is).
For these computers there will be no more patches, updates or expansions available. University does not work with Legacy Edition.
Metal is supported by MacOS El Capitan and up. But if your graphics card doesn't support Metal, there is no use in updating to Mojave or Catalina.
(I tried, it didn't work).

Mac models from 2012 and up usually have graphic drivers that support Metal. These computers don't have to use Legacy Edition, because the original game is compatible with the graphic driver using Metal.
A solution known to work is updating MacOS to Mojave or Catalina in order for the original game to work. Origin will download the Legacy Edition in any case, but this version of the game won't be used for these Macs.

How am I doing so far?

Message 81 of 849 (3,378 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@dzm06Thank you for your very clear explanation about Metal.

Basicly it comes down to this (correct me if I'm wrong):

Mac models from 2011 or earlier have a graphics driver that doesn't support Metal. Therefor they have to use the Legacy Edition in order to play (once it gets fixed).
For these computers there will be no more patches, updates or expansions available. University does not work with Legacy Edition.

Macs from 2011 and earlier can't go past High Sierra, but because your graphics card doesn't support Metal, there is no use in updating to Mojave or Catalina anyway.

Mac models from 2012 and up usually have graphic drivers that support Metal. These computers don't have to use Legacy Edition, because the original game is compatible with the graphic driver using Metal.
A solution known to work is updating MacOS to Mojave or Catalina in order for the original game to work. Origin will download the Legacy Edition in any case, but this version of the game won't be used for these Macs.

Conclusion: if your Mac is from 2011 or earlier, you can't play The Sims untill EA/Origin fix the Legacy Edition to work properly.

Message 82 of 849 (3,394 Views)

can't get online on Sims 4

★★★ Newbie

Hi there, 

I have just downloaded deluxe and legacy for my Sims 4, it launches like normal but I have lost my previous households and i can only see what packs I have bought and not what I have and haven't. I click on a pack and it says I'm offline. I click to go online but it says I need to enable online access. I have repaired the game, go to the options menu and nothing with the word 'online' comes up and I have an 18+ account which should give me access to online stuff. Has anyone had this problem before? If anyone can help, that would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Message 83 of 849 (3,389 Views)

Re: Issue opening The Sims 4 Legacy Edition for Mac

★★★ Newbie
@Arekkino I have the same issue
Message 84 of 849 (3,388 Views)

Can I stop using Legacy Edition on Mac?

★★ Novice

Sims 4 Legacy Edition

I recently downloaded the sims 4 Legacy Edition and was wondering if I could switch back to using the old game, I loved using the gallery and am annoyed that I had to download the new update. I have a Mac which is why I had to download it. Any ideas on how / is it possible if I would be able to get the original game running again <3 

Happy gaming

Leni Star

Message 85 of 849 (3,392 Views)

Re: Can I stop using Legacy Edition on Mac?

@lenidav  I've moved your post to the Mac section.  The answer depends on the specs of your Mac; please list them here, as described in this post:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 86 of 849 (3,384 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide
@HangryYeti Lot's to unpack here. Standard smile

"Graphics driver" is close, though not 100% right. macOS used to rely on technologies called OpenGL and OpenCL to allow programs to access the underlying graphics capabilities of the OS and hardware. Apple began the process of dropping support for these legacy technologies by introducing Metal in El Capitan (and in iOS before that). Beginning with Mojave macOS will no longer even install onto hardware that does not support Metal, though OpenGL/OpenCL applications can be installed onto both Mojave and Catalina. Apple has told developers that support for these older technologies can be dropped with any future macOS release, however, so developers are rushing to update their apps (think of this as similar to the deprecation and eventual drop of 32-bit apps on macOS - you could still install them; you would get a warning the first time you ran them, and then with Catalina they simply won't run at all).

Whether your Mac can support Metal is entirely dependent on the graphics chip (GPU) inside the Mac. I've seen Macs as old as 2012 have GPUs that can support metal, and I've seen Macs as new as 2015 that do not. It depends entirely on what the capabilities of the GPU are and what Apple's product goals for that Mac model were at the time. The best way to tell if a Mac supports Metal is to update it to the most modern release of macOS that will run on it, then go to the System Information report (accessible from About This Mac) and look into the Graphics/Displays section. For every "Video Card" listed look for a line that starts with "Metal: Supported". If that line is there (with some more information on it) then your hardware supports Metal and you're good to go. If that line is absent then your hardware does not support Metal and will be increasingly orphaned as various apps are updated.

I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion at the end. There definitely seems to be an issue that is impacting a number of players on Legacy Edition that seems to involve and incomplete or missing language resource. A workaround that players seem to have found is to switch the game language to another in the Origin client, then switch back to the preferred language. This seems to force the Origin client to reinstall/repair the language information for the game.
Message 87 of 849 (3,358 Views)

Re: can't get online on Sims 4

★★ Guide
@caitlynholly26 Are you using the Legacy Edition? Unfortunately it has no online capabilities.

In your Documents folder, do you see an Electronic Arts folder? Inside of it is there a The Sims 4 folder and a The Sims 4 Legacy Edition folder?
Message 88 of 849 (3,354 Views)

Re: Can I stop using Legacy Edition on Mac?

★★ Guide
@lenidav If you have a TimeMachine (or other) backup you should be able to restore the older version of the game from there. If you do this you will need to make sure you disable updates in Origin. Keep in mind that you will also not be able to install new packs, etc since those will almost always require a base game update as well.

Otherwise, no, the prior version is not available through any official channels.
Message 89 of 849 (3,354 Views)

★★ Novice

According to EA, Origin, and my computer, I should be able to continue playing the regular sims 4 with university. But when I go to play, it tells me I have to play the legacy edition which is not what I want. My laptop is a MacBook Air OS X 10.9.5 with intel core i5 and is a mid 2013. Why can I not play, and how do I fix this. 

Please help. 

Message 90 of 849 (3,324 Views)