Re: The Sims 4 Legacy Edition thread

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

★★★★★ Newbie
@Bluebellflora I now have none of my saves and both EA folders have nothing in the save folder so I can't copy and paste anything across? I don't understand how it has downloaded legacy and deleted everything from the saved folder on Sims 4 but it has somehow. Everything is empty.
Message 61 of 849 (3,949 Views)

@georgialee90

Hmm. Do you have any backups either in iCloud or on an external drive?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 62 of 849 (3,935 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@Bluebellflora no I checked Time Machine but it isn't set up. Guess I've lost everything. I don't make people or houses so its ruined because I don't know how else to download items other than the gallery.I'm hardly going to build an entire village shops with wedding venue and park for my sim to use like 3 times before I get bored of that town.
Message 63 of 849 (3,930 Views)

@georgialee90

How about iCloud? Do you have iCloud Drive enabled to store your Documents folder in the cloud?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 64 of 849 (3,928 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@Bluebellflora sadly not, I have the sims on a separate user on my mac and don't have anything set up on it. Was only kept to play this game which is sad! Thank you for your help though. I'll look in to custom content or other options, maybe its possible to do the old custom content tactic of pasting the files in to the game folders now gallery doesn't work?
Message 65 of 849 (3,924 Views)

★★ Guide
@georgialee90 If you have TimeMachine configured for your Mac then it backs up data for all the users. You have to make sure you're logged in as the appropriate user to gain access to their backups though. Have you attempted to get to the TimeMachine backups from your Sims user account?

Generally the Mac is good at preventing you from accidentally deleting files too. Have you checked your Trash to see if the missing files are in there? Or have they accidentally been moved to another part of the file system? Try searching for them.

Finally - Is your Mac new enough that if you update the OS to at least El Capitan it will support Metal (you can check the computer type and GPU type by selecting "About this Mac" from the Apple menu - share the results here)?
Message 66 of 849 (3,885 Views)

★ Novice

Hi!

First of all, thanks for all the advice that you are giving out. I noticed that you said that if we can install and run El Captain, then our computer will support Metal. I can install High Sierra but, I am currently running Sierra, which is an update after El Captain. Correct me if I'm wrong...but shouldn't I be able to use the game without Legacy? So far, I am not able to. I will post my system specs below:

macOS Sierra

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

I am downloading High Sierra now to see if that will make any difference. If it doesn't at least my system will be updated! Oops

Message 67 of 849 (3,870 Views)

★★ Guide
@mahalia2007 For clarity: El Capitan is the first macOS release that offered the Metal graphics interface to programs, but it does not require Metal to run. If your hardware doesn't support Metal then El Capitan (and Sierra, and High Sierra) will happily just use (and offer) an older technology called OpenGL. Beginning with Mojave macOS will no longer install on hardware that doesn't support Metal, though OpenGL is still offered to programs. With Mojave Apple also announced that they are deprecating (meaning "this technology is still here, but it might go away in the near future") OpenGL. This is similar to when Apple deprecated 32-bit support a while back but allowed programs to still run, but with Catalina completely dropped 32-bit compatibility.

Unfortunately I don't think (though I don't know for sure) that your Radeon 6750 GPU works with Metal. You can test this as I describe above - Go to Apple Menu -> About this Mac -> System Report ... -> Graphics/Displays. If you see a line that looks like this:

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v4

(where the two numbers at the end might change) then you're good. If you don't see that line then it's nearly certain your hardware is not supported by Metal.
Message 68 of 849 (3,855 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@dzm06 Thank you for all your help in this thread. Sadly I don't have it set up, I must have been saving space or making my mac run quicker and turned it off. I have checked trash and searched everywhere, I really don't understand where everything from the saved folder and tray could have went to. Its really not like mac to ever just make things disappear. I wonder if when I opened the game it overwrote everything in the save folder when it should have been saving in to the new legacy folder.
Feel pretty gutted that I just lost all my games, people, and houses. I want to play again but don't have enough time to be building whole houses and people without gallery help.
Feel like I should be demanding a refund from EA because the game is bricked now.
Message 69 of 849 (3,810 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

@georgialee90Sorry if this is a really stupid question or can't be done. Does anyone know a way for me to do this:
Go on origin on a computer that can run the game and gallery.
Chose houses and people from gallery (even my own from when I uploaded them).
Send those houses and people to myself to use on a game that can't access the gallery.

I'm basically clutching at straws trying to find any way to still play. 

Thinking this might work?:

Open origin and game on computer that can run gallery. 

Place loads of houses and people from gallery in game.

Save. 

Copy whole file from sims4 folder. 

Send to myself. 

Paste the file in to legacy folder. 

Success and all dreams come true. 

Message 70 of 849 (3,806 Views)