The Sims 3

by isthatjessie

Original Post

The Sims 3

★★★ Newbie

I've been playing The Sims 3 on my Mac (Macbook Pro 2015) and when I'm in fullscreen, black lines start flickering, especially at the bottom of the screen. On windowed mode they're gone but I don't want to play that way. Is there a mod or a solution to fix this? Thanks.

Message 1 of 4 (562 Views)

Re: The Sims 3

@isthatjessie  What in-game resolution are you using in fullscreen mode, as shown in the graphics options menu, and what resolution is your laptop screen?  For the latter, you can look under About This Mac > Displays.

Please also try a couple of different in-game resolutions to see whether they make a difference.  After changing the setting, which you can do from the Main Menu, quit to desktop and reload to test.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (534 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My Mac screen resolution is 2560 × 1600, and in game I use 1280 x 800 (16:10). I did use 1024 x 768 (4:3) for a bit but it was too fuzzy, that's why I changed it to 1280 x 800, but then these lines are on the screen.

Message 3 of 4 (526 Views)

@isthatjessie  Your Mac's supported scaled resolutions are 1680x1050, 1440x900, and 1024x640.  While you should in theory be able to play in fullscreen at 1280x800, since it has the same aspect ratio, it's possible that this has odd effects in fullscreen mode, so please try using one of the supported resolutions instead.

What OS are you currently running?  If you haven't updated to Monterey, I wouldn't do that now—people on newer Macs have said they only have a couple in-game resolutions available.  I don't know whether your computer would be affected as well, but since it's a pain to roll back an OS update, better to avoid it.  But if you're on an older OS and don't have a reason NOT to update, installing the next-newer one may help.

Other than that, the only suggestion I have is to use windowed mode and expand the screen by dragging the edges until you get a size that works for you.  This kind of flickering is generally a system issue, or at least an issue of how the system renders the graphics, and not necessarily an in-game issue that can be addressed from that end.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 4 (511 Views)