The Sims 3 unknown error, Mac

by IJust_AdrianI

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The Sims 3 unknown error, Mac

★★★ Novice

I have the problem of not being able to open the base game launcher for The Sims 3. I have Late Night and High End Loft Stuff , but I can open the game through both of those launchers. When I try to open the launcher of the base game, it just says Unknown Error. The icon does not change to any EP or SP, just stays as the base game launcher icon. I've done the widely accepted solution of messing around with the game files because, like many people, Late Night was a problem. After doing that process correctly several times, I still get Unexpected Error. Please, help. This has caused many difficulties. I have a mid-2011 Mac.

Message 1 of 10 (1,973 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: The Sims 3 unknown error, Mac

★★★ Novice

I don't believe it. I fixed the files myself! I moved some aliases and copied files of Late Night around, and I somehow fixed it! The UNknown error no longer occurs Standard smile. I still deeply thank you for responding and trying to help.

View in thread

Message 9 of 10 (2,007 Views)

All Replies

@IJust_AdrianI

Are you 100% sure you followed the instructions correctly? They are quite complicated but do work. If your Mac is not supported in the game then you may also need to add your graphics card to the game files. Please read the Sims 3 Mac help thread for further links and explanations on the issues running Sims 3 on a Mac - https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/749...

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 10 (1,814 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have quadruple checked the process and I don't see where I may have messed up.

Message 3 of 10 (1,794 Views)

★★★ Novice

It is still a possibility I messed up. Is there a way to reset all my files so they are in their original folder/position? I figure if I can do that then I can re do the process just in case I may have messed up, because by now I don't even know what files are original and such.

Message 4 of 10 (1,791 Views)

@IJust_AdrianI

Personally, I would cleanly uninstall and then reinstall again. There's no way to reset the files properly.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 10 (1,784 Views)

★★★ Novice

Okay I will uninstall and re install.

Message 6 of 10 (1,780 Views)

★★★ Novice

I've re installed. The Unknown Error still occurs. Also, the icon doesnt change to an EP or Sp. How do I know which add-on to do the process of fixing on? Again, I have High End Loft Stuff and Late Night.

Message 7 of 10 (1,772 Views)

★★★ Novice

Oh, I'm referring to @corey_0414's solution to the unknown error. In the process, they say you need to know which add on your sims 3 icon changes to do it, but mine doesn't change, so I'm not sure what to do.

Message 8 of 10 (1,770 Views)

★★★ Novice

I don't believe it. I fixed the files myself! I moved some aliases and copied files of Late Night around, and I somehow fixed it! The UNknown error no longer occurs Standard smile. I still deeply thank you for responding and trying to help.

Message 9 of 10 (2,008 Views)

Yep, that guide is an absolute godsend. Enjoy playing!

AHQSigImage.png
Message 10 of 10 (1,756 Views)