The Sims 3 on mac taking up around 120gb on hard disk

by kelboe123

Original Post

Re: The Sims 3 on mac taking up around 120gb on hard disk

[ Edited ]

@kelboe123  Which packs do you have installed?

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 21 of 45 (522 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict WA & Ambitions
Message 22 of 45 (508 Views)

@kelboe123  Create an alias for Ambitions in Applications\The Sims 3, alongside the aliases for the base game and WA.  Here's how:

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-packs-not-showing-as-installed/

If it doesn't work, stop here and let me know.

Otherwise, are you planning to install all your expansions?  If so, it's probably easier to install Into the Future (your newest pack by the date EA released it) next, and then copy a folder from Ambitions into the folder for ITF.  This way, you'll only have to do this workaround once rather than every time you install a new pack.  The video in this post describes what to do.  You'll recognize the folders involved.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-Sims-3-Unknown-Error-in-El-Capitan-and-...

If the game still works with ITF installed, you can install Late Night, repeat the two workarounds above, and test.  The other expansions don't need any extra help.

If you don't want to install ITF right now, just install the newest pack by release date among those you'd like to use.  Then copy the folder from Ambitions into that pack's folder instead.

Message 23 of 45 (497 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict So install ITF first? & If I paste one folder in another one, won't it take up a lot of space again?
Message 24 of 45 (466 Views)

@kelboe123  The folders you're pasting aren't that large in the grand scheme of things: 2.62 GB for Ambitions, I think a little less for Late Night.  All the other packs' folders will create shortcuts to the originals, but that doesn't work for Ambitions or LN.  So they have to be copied and pasted manually, or you'll keep getting an unknown error message.

Message 25 of 45 (428 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Okay so were almost there, I installed every single dlc I own, and it only takes up 30GB! I pasted in both Ambitions & LN but I keep getting the unknown error. I already ran the super patch.
Message 26 of 45 (421 Views)

@kelboe123  Okay, did you also create an alias for each one in Applications\The Sims 3?

Message 27 of 45 (414 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Yes I did
Message 28 of 45 (404 Views)

@kelboe123  Did you ever launch Sims 3 with just the base game and WA installed?  Let me know if you did, and whether it worked.

If it never worked, or you didn't test, please list the full specs of your Mac, as described here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting...

Please also go into Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3, open the file labeled deviceconfig.log, copy the information between "Graphics device info" (about 25 lines down) and 'Options" (about 40 lines down), and paste it here.  If deviceconfig is blank, just let me know.

Message 29 of 45 (385 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I never launched, even though I did launch the launcher. I also can't find the file you mentioned "deviceconfig.log".

Message 30 of 45 (377 Views)