The Sims 3 on mac taking up around 120gb on hard disk

by kelboe123

Original Post

Re: The Sims 3 on mac taking up around 120gb on hard disk

★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict I also see both "The Sims 3" and "The Sims 3 World Adventures" folders.

Message 11 of 45 (423 Views)

@kelboe123  Yes, but please check everything I described:

You should see four folders in there: Caches, Game, GameData, and Thumbnails. Let me know the size of each. Inside the Electronic Arts folder, you should only see the Sims 3 folder and a World Adventures alias (shortcut), as in, a folder with a little arrow to signify that it's just a shortcut to the real folder. Let me know how large this World Adventures folder is, and if you see any other folders as well.

The World Adventures folder shouldn't be a folder at all, it should be a shortcut.  Please let me know how large it is.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 12 of 45 (539 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict

Oops sorry I misunderstood

The shortcut is only 1KB which is obvious, but the folder itself so the original is 3.69GB

"The Sims 3"

Caches: 1.03GB
Game: 374MB
GameData: 5,98GB
Thumbnails: 446GB

No others except The Sims 3 & World Adventures because only these are installed

Message 13 of 45 (520 Views)

@kelboe123  This is really strange.  If transgaming is 11 GB, the components you listed should also be close to 11 GB.  For example, I installed a few more packs, and mine is 7.84 GB; my Caches, Game, GameData, and Thumbnails folders are all exactly the same size as yours.  So there's something else hiding in there.

Please go through the folders in order: first transgaming, then c_drive, then Program Files, etc., all the way to the Sims 3 folder and the World Adventures shortcut.  Let me know where the transition from 11 GB to 7.8 GB happens.

If we don't get anywhere, I'll reinstall in Mojave tonight or tomorrow, just to compare, but this is definitely not normal in any operating system.

Message 14 of 45 (499 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddictWhen I go into resources, transgaming is 7.84GB.
AddOns is 10.95GB

Thank you so much for helping me, I really appreciate it Standard smile

Message 15 of 45 (469 Views)

@kelboe123  Okay, then it's AddOns that's the issue.  It really sounds like there's an extra copy of the base game in there somewhere: the 11 GB total is exactly the combined size of the base game and World Adventures.

However, it's not necessarily a bit deal if there's just one extra copy of the base game—7 GB isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things.  The problem will be if the info keeps duplicating.  So please install one more pack (not Ambitions, Late Night, Fast Lane, or Outdoor Living, but any other), go back to AddOns, check the total size, and then list the size of each item inside AddOns.  Please check transgaming too, just to be thorough, but if it stays at 7.84 GB, you can ignore it.

Message 16 of 45 (441 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Will I still be able to install the previous packs? Because of the unknown error notification?
Message 17 of 45 (426 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@kelboe123 Note I found an extra "The Sims 3" Folder in the wa game. So like The Sims 3 World Adventures/Show Package Contents/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Electronic Arts. And then I see both "The Sims 3" and "The Sims 3 World Adventures"
Message 18 of 45 (425 Views)

@kelboe123  In the transgaming\...\Electronic Arts folder, there should be a Sims 3 folder with an arrow in the lower left corner of the icon, as in, the system is telling you it's a shortcut.  But there shouldn't be a full folder.  Here's what mine looks like:

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 12.36.16 PM.png

The size of the Sims 3 folder is 4 KB, because it's just a shortcut.  The World Adventures folder is 3.69 GB.  Let me know what size yours are.

You can fix the unknown error issues related to the four packs I listed.  But for the moment, let's deal with one issue at a time.  Fixing the unknown error involves copying around exactly the folders we're talking about, so it would be easier to leave those packs out of the picture for now.

Message 19 of 45 (400 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Ok, so I reinstalled my game and I can happily confirm that with 2 expansions already installed the disk space is only 13GB. But now I'm facing the problem with the unknown error, but it's happening with the base game..
Message 20 of 45 (373 Views)