The Sims 3 Unknown Error Occured Issue on Mac - HELP!!

by ellamaree8

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The Sims 3 Unknown Error Occured Issue on Mac - HELP!!

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hey everyone,

I've got a lot of different issues going on at the moment with my Sims 3 game(s) and I'd love some help on any of them!

I originally bought my base Sims 3 game and all the expansions as physical discs. I just recently found out that I could redeem my Sims 3 games on Origin so I wouldn't need to use the disc anymore. 

Firstly, I redeemed my base game - which went fine, it was downloaded and installed successfully onto Origin. However, when I try to launch the base game this 'unknown error occured' message pops up and the launcher is shut down. I've been doing a bit of research on how to fix this but I can't find anything specifically looking at just the base game. I do not have any other expansions installed. I understand that a lot of Mac users are having issues with the game after the 2013 MacOS update but as my computer is a Late 2013 model, shouldn't that mean I am not affected by this?

I have read through this https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/749... post and tried to 1. move the The Sims 3 folder from the Electronic Arts folder to my desktop then launch the game however the same error message comes up 2. I have also tried to uninstall the entire game from my computer - twice, and this still didn't work. I have just tried to follow these steps (https://bluebellflora.com/fix-for-incompatible-graphics-for-the-sims-3-on-mac/intel-iris-pro-5200-15...) in case it was a graphics issue however this did not work. I still get the error message and I can't open the game at all.

I will put my computer specs in here, in case this helps:

MacOS High Sierra

iMac (21.5 inch, Late 2013)

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Secondly, I am also having issues with redeeming some of the expansions in Origin. Some of them have been redeemed fine and are just waiting to be 'downloaded' but some of them only have one option called 'Details'. Clicking on the details button doesn't do anything. I will post 2 pictures as an example of what I think it's supposed to look like and an example of what some of them don't look like. I'm not sure how this happened or how to fix it.

Any help would be amazing!

Thank you in advance!!

Message 1 of 12 (820 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: The Sims 3 Unknown Error Occured Issue on Mac - HELP!!

@ellamaree8  There are several causes for the unknown error messages, and it sounds like you will need to deal with all of them.  The pack-related issues are due to the OS being incompatible with the game; the problem started with El Capitan and is still present in High Sierra.  The base-game-only error is due to TS3 not recognizing your graphics card because its database hasn't been updated since 2013.

Hopefully you manually cleaned out the lingering TS3 files when you uninstalled the game (the uninstaller can miss some), but if you haven't, now would be a good time to do so.  Then run the Super Patch (digital download version) to patch the game to 1.67, as the launcher isn't equipped to handle the data from all the patches at once.

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

Bluebellflora can try to help you get your graphics card recognized, although there's no guarantee that it will work.  In addition to your specs, she needs the device ID of your card.  You can post here or on her website.  Here's how to find the relevant information:

https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Information

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 12 (801 Views)

All Replies

@ellamaree8  There are several causes for the unknown error messages, and it sounds like you will need to deal with all of them.  The pack-related issues are due to the OS being incompatible with the game; the problem started with El Capitan and is still present in High Sierra.  The base-game-only error is due to TS3 not recognizing your graphics card because its database hasn't been updated since 2013.

Hopefully you manually cleaned out the lingering TS3 files when you uninstalled the game (the uninstaller can miss some), but if you haven't, now would be a good time to do so.  Then run the Super Patch (digital download version) to patch the game to 1.67, as the launcher isn't equipped to handle the data from all the patches at once.

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

Bluebellflora can try to help you get your graphics card recognized, although there's no guarantee that it will work.  In addition to your specs, she needs the device ID of your card.  You can post here or on her website.  Here's how to find the relevant information:

https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Information

Message 2 of 12 (802 Views)

@ellamaree8

I've just uploaded the details you need to add your Intel graphics to the game files, I replied to your comment on my site here - https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#comment-14221

Don't forget that you also need to follow the instructions to add the problem packs to the Launcher and the instructions to add the game files to the pack which is launching the game.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 12 (796 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thank you both for this! I am doing this now so I'll let you know how I get on Standard smile

Message 4 of 12 (779 Views)

★ Apprentice

Okay slight issue - I have followed all of bluebellflora's steps and am just trying to launch my game so I can quit at the town chooser screen as per instructions, however, my launcher opens (horray! This didn't do this before so good sign) but it says I need to enter the disc to play, but I launched the game from origin so I shouldn't need the disc right?

Message 5 of 12 (771 Views)

★ Apprentice

Okay disregard this, I fixed this-ish, now I can get up to the select town screen but then it tells me there is no disc found Disappointed

Message 6 of 12 (763 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ellamaree8  You don't need to launch from Origin after installing in mac OS.  In fact, if you're only playing TS3, you could uninstall Origin completely without it having any effect on your ability to play.  What happens if you launch the game from the alias in your Applications folder?  Does it still ask for a disc?

Just checking, but you installed the base game through Origin, not the disc, right?  And if you ever had the game installed via disc on this computer, you did a manual uninstall before trying to install the digital version?  The disc isn't necessary for a digital install to run, or at least, it shouldn't be.

Edit:  I saw your response, but the point stands:  You shouldn't need any disc involvement with a digital install.

Message 7 of 12 (762 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict Okay, I use origin for my sims 4 as well but this is good to know.

So originally I installed the base game via disc on this computer, when went to install the digital version I probably did half of a manual uninstall as I lost the actual uninstaller - I just deleted both The Sims 3 folders off my computer and trashed them before installing the digital. However since then I have followed @Bluebellflora's manual uninstall and completed that.

I have tried to launch the game directly from my applications folder but it still asks for the disc. I actually have the disc but I don't have a disc drive anymore lol

BTW: I have successfully added the Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200 to the game files!! I checked in console and it came up with the 1:1 so thank you both for that

Message 8 of 12 (759 Views)

@ellamaree8  The graphics card fix is all Bluebellflora, and truthfully, it's a bit over my head.  In fact, she did the same thing for me a few months ago.  I just tell people where to go.

If you did a complete uninstall before reinstalling the digital version this time around, then maybe there's a weird glitch going on with Origin.  But just to make sure, try dragging the game folder that you've just generated out of Documents and launching the game again.  If you still get asked for a disc at the Main Menu, then there's definitely something weird going on.

At this point, I'm just guessing, but perhaps it would help to install an expansion or stuff pack (just one—let's keep it simple for now).  The fix for a mix of disc and digital installs is to do a clean uninstall of the latest pack by release date and then install the digital version; perhaps this will help.  Just to make things easier, try a pack that isn't Ambitions, Late Night, Fast Lane, or Outdoor Living, as those will need a bit of extra help to launch.

Message 9 of 12 (745 Views)

★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Haha I feel the same, this stuff is really over my head I'm just trying to get through it.

Okay I've dragged the folder and it still asks for the disc so you're probably right, there is a glitch. I'll try installing an expansion like Seasons into origin and let you know how that goes.

Thank you for this, I know there is not exact science but this stuff is very overwhelming so this is so amazingly helpful.
Message 10 of 12 (733 Views)