The Sims 3 64bit crash to login screen

by EnricoFrancis

Original Post

The Sims 3 64bit crash to login screen

★★★★ Novice

Hey ! 

I've been trying to play the game and for some reason every time I play, at random points of playing when everything is running perfect no lag or anything it will then crash my Mac not to desktop but to the mac login screen... I've tried deleting cache, moving the 'Electronic Arts' folder to have a fresh set of files, trying with and without mods/cc and it does it every time... 

Not sure if anyone else is having this issue ? And thank you for any help in advance ! : )

Message 1 of 6 (411 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 64bit crash to login screen

@EnricoFrancis  This is kind of a shot in the dark, but try forcing your Mac to always use its dedicated graphics card, at least while you play.  Here's how:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202043

And definitely play with the laptop plugged in at all times.

If this doesn't help, please let me know which packs you currently have installed and which world(s) you're playing in.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (395 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thank you so much for your response ! 
I just did you suggestion but it seemed to still crash to the login unfortunately... 

the packs I have installed are 

world adventures 

ambitions

Late night 

generations 

town life 

pets 

showtime 

supernatural 

seasons 

uni

island paradise 

also something weird to mention but when it crashes to the login screen, the game music still is playing but there are no apps running...? 
I wonder if it’s some security setting or something that’s closing the game.... 

also I’ve tried playing in multiple worlds including sunset valley, show time world, Bridgeport, riverview... thank you so much for your help !!!

Message 3 of 6 (375 Views)

@EnricoFrancis  Do you have a third-party antivirus running on your Mac?  If so, please let me know what it is.

For the game itself, please create a new admin user account on your Mac.  (Don't link it to your iCloud account or to anything else in your existing account.)  Sign into that account and into your existing Origin account, and try to play.  If you get another crash, restart your computer, sign into the new account again, delete the Sims 3 folder in Documents > Electronic Arts, and try to play again, except this time, play while your computer is offline.  You can sign into Origin and put it in offline mode, then disable wifi before pressing Play.

Message 4 of 6 (367 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hello ! Sorry for the delay I've only just had time to check to see if this works and it DID ! (when I followed the steps to play on a new account offline)

I was on for a couple of hours and it worked completely perfectly ! THANK YOU so so so much for your help ! does this help find a solution to play on my original login and fix the issue? or do you think I'll have to play on the other account for it to work? Thank you for your time and assistance ! Standard smile

Message 5 of 6 (263 Views)

@EnricoFrancis  I'm not sure why your existing account is giving you trouble but not the new one.  Did you ever try playing while offline in that account?

If that doesn't or didn't help, try setting your Mac to never go into sleep mode.  Open System Preferences > Energy Saver, click Power Adapter, and move the slider all the way to the right.  You can leave the Battery setting alone as long as you always have your laptop plugged in while you play, which you should for performance reasons alone.

Message 6 of 6 (241 Views)