Re: TS4 now completely unplayable on Mac

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

TS4 now completely unplayable on Mac

★★★★★ Novice

I have a fairly recent MBP, and I have set up a dedicated account just for the game, but I used to be able to go at least a couple of days without a crash, now it's multiple times a day. I have no mods, nor CC, installed. MBP is running MacOS 10.13.4. 

I have literally reformatted the HDD, reinstalled MacOS, and had the game as the only thing installed (aside from that which is installed with the OS).Still crashes at least every half-hour. 

For a game in which I have invested £560 (and I feel for what it is, it would be expensive at half that) this is completely unacceptable. I realise Maxis/EA don't care about Mac users, we had all that with TS3 (which, in my opinion was, in many ways, a far superior game - I actually installed Parallels just so I could play it). What follows is the crashlog - and it's the same every time the game crashes. There's this line which I find interesting: 

Application Specific Information:

BUG IN CLIENT OF LIBPTHREAD: Unable to allocate thread port, possible port leak

Anyone with more knowledge of these things than me explain what it means…? It's consistently there in every log. I've Googled and come up dry, but I'm wondering if the 'port leak' is a memory issue, as having the game running cause the computer to become almost completely unresponsive to any other input. The game takes forever to load (Ive actually timed it at 3 minutes from Origin launch - slow enough to make it show as 'not responding' in the 'force quit' menu). 

I've not even touched on the gameplay issues - the lag is horrendous, characters walk like they've gammy legs, there is a 5-10 second delay between selecting something from Buy/Build mode, hitting the mouse to place it and it actually being placed. I cannot have more than a single Sim in a house because any more and the crash time drops to under 10 minutes. 

Yes, I have installed the latest game patch which was supposed to fix the lag - it has done nothing and, if anything, it appears to be worse now. I've even dropped all graphics settings to low, which didn't help one iota. It also causes the fans to run constantly and the CPU temperature often hits >90° whilst playing (it is the only game I have which does this - scrub that, it's the only APP I have which does this, full stop). CPU temp without the game running: 44.6°

I can’t post the entire log, as it’s too long for a single post. Let me know if you need to see it and I’ll have to email it or something.  

This is simply unacceptable for a game that costs so much. I won't hold my breath for a fix, though… 😠😡🤬🤯

Message 1 of 3 (743 Views)
Highlighted

@Rename23321  Have you tried the clean folder test?  You can drag your entire TS4 folder out of Documents and onto your desktop, and a clean folder will spawn with no content.  Try playing a new save in this folder for a bit to see if it helps.

The consistently high temperatures are worrying, as I said when I responded to your previous post.  Of course, you might just need to blow out the vents with compressed air.  But I wouldn't want to risk playing if my computer were constantly getting that hot and unable to cool itself properly.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (720 Views)

@Rename23321

It really would help to know which exact Mac you have. Instructions on how and what to provide here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 3 (707 Views)