Sims4 to download on to a external hard drive on a MacBook pro

by elizabeth211995

Original Post

Re: SIMS4 from MAC onto External HardDrive?

@belle0513

All your DLC is now installed into a separate folder alongside the game app called Sims 4 Packs. You must move this to the external too - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/The-Sims-4-macOS-Notarization-FAQ/m-p/8876253#M29009

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 61 of 261 (11,912 Views)

Re: Can't find External Hard Drive in Origin MAC

★★★ Newbie

I tried doing the just move the origin app to my external hard drive (its exFat) and it says its damaged please bin the app. no option to "repair" it I'm trying to install on my external hard drive you but not sure how.

Message 62 of 261 (2,887 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you for this, I was able to have my Game Library Location be my WD Passport external hard drive. However, an issue I ran into was being unable to eject it afterwards so I forced ejected it because I wanted to transfer my cc/mods from my old HP to my Mac. After transferring all of those I plugged my Hard Drive into my Mac again and it said that it was unable to find a location for my Game Library and to choose a new one. This also lead Sims 4 uninstalling so I am now in the process of reinstalling everything again. Is there any way for me to eject my passport without having Sims 4 uninstall by itself?

Message 63 of 261 (2,838 Views)

@ckbus2s

You would not have been able to eject it if it was in use so make sure Origin and the game are both fully closed. Also make sure the drive is plugged in and properly mounted BEFORE opening Origin and the game so the apps can read the external drive on launch.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 64 of 261 (2,825 Views)

Re: SIMS4 from MAC onto External HardDrive?

★★★ Newbie

Hi! I followed all the steps that you suggested, but the message that came up is, "Origin is unable to install games in your chosen folder because the destination drive is not mounted. Please choose another folder."

Message 65 of 261 (2,642 Views)

Sims4 to download on to a external hard drive on a MacBook pro

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hello I have tried to go on to Origin/ApplicationSettings/Install and saves/Game Library location and change he location to my hard drive and it won't work. I clicked on the computer box and than double clicked on the hard drive symbol and than in the directory and typed in Volumes/Hard drive name/ and it didn't work for me. I got this message, "Origin is unable to install games in your chosen folder because the destination drive is not mounted. Please choose another folder." Please I culs use some help. I even did the sum link as well. 

Message 66 of 261 (5,424 Views)

Re: Sims4 to download on to a hard drive on a MacBook pro

★ Apprentice
@elizabeth211995 sim i mean not sum
Message 67 of 261 (5,423 Views)

★ Apprentice
@elizabeth211995 also i have an external har drive
Message 68 of 261 (5,422 Views)

@elizabeth211995 

1. In Origin > Installs & Saves > Game Library Location click on Change Folder 
  2. In the left side click on Computer then double click on the '/' that appears next to a picture of your hard drive in the right side. You should see four folders in the right now - Applications, Library, System, Users.
  3. In the field at the bottom, where it says Directory, type in /Volumes/[the name of your external] then hit Enter. For example, my external is called Backup and shows Backup when plugged in in Finder, so the file path is /Volumes/Backup.
  4. The window will disappear and reappear again but you may not see your external. That's ok, quit Origin then reopen it. You should get a Gatekeeper message popping up asking for Origin to have permission to access files on a removable volume. Just click Ok.
  5. Now repeat steps 1 to 3 and you should see the contents of your external in the window.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 69 of 261 (5,418 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Bluebellflora just tried and this message popped up "Origin is unable to install games in your chosen folder because the destination drive is not mounted. Please choose another folder."
Message 70 of 261 (5,408 Views)