Re: Sims stand around for hours, game constantly lagging

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims stand around for hours, game constantly lagging

★ Apprentice

My sims game is so slow and laggy that it's unplayable. It's been this way since the first week of October... since which time I have tried to play it about 3 times and failed. Sims stand around for hours, and the game is visibly lagging and doesn't stop or get any better as minutes go by. The snow falling in the game is sticking, the camera sticks when you try to move around, and the sim movements are jittery. I can't even get them to complete a single action like "go here". I first tried to remove a few new mods to see if they were the issue, that did not help. I then gave up and decided to completely remove and disable all mods from my game, to see if that would make a difference. It did not. I couldn't find any threads that would help that aren't regarding the Discover University patch. My game has had this problem since long before that patch. I have recently done a clean uninstall/reinstall of the game and Origin. I've tried to repair the game through origin. I've deleted save files, lowered my graphics all to low (i usually play on high or very high with minimal issues), deleted sims out of my tray... I don't know what else to try honestly.

My computer specs:

• Macbook Pro, Early 2015
  • 2.7 GHz, intel core i5
  • 8gb RAM 1867 MHz DDR3
  • Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

My game is updated to 1.58.63.1210.

My mods are all updated for the current patch but like I said, the problem persists even without the mods. Please help or refer me to a related thread that I might have missed.

Message 1 of 13 (3,486 Views)

Accepted Solution

★ Apprentice

I found the problem!!!! I was confused, because I had done a clean reinstall before and had the same issue. Like moving the folder, starting up a new game and copying my stuff to the newly created folder. Only this time I moved over just saves first and tried that- no issues. Then, I painstakingly went through ALL of my CC and mods (22.8 GB 😭) adding them all in one by one or in groups to see how the game ran. After that terrible process, I was so happy to have my game running smoothly that i stopped there, thinking the issue was a fluke. But today, I wanted to place a lot, opened my gallery and found nothing but the original maxis lots& households. So then I remembered I forgot to import my old tray folder. THIS IS THE ISSUE! As soon as I copied over my tray folder and started up the game (which took 3x longer than it had after my clean reinstall), everything was laggy. I could barely move my mouse this time. I never realized the tray could slow down the game so much, but if you think about it I have been saving all the pretty sims and pretty lots and houses I see since the game came out in 2014. That’s A LOT of data..but it’s only 65.7 MB so I never thought of it as a lot. Thanks for the help! And for others with the same issue I hope this fixes it for you too! So happy I can finally start playing with Realm of Magic, since my game was too slow to do so before now.

View in thread

Message 13 of 13 (3,662 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

I literally have the same specs as you and also have the same issue.

Message 2 of 13 (3,356 Views)

[ Edited ]

@kimofry12 @mizginxroj 

Could you both please move your whole Sims 4 folder to your desktop and the launch the game and start a new save. Play for a bit and see how it is. Is it still happening with a new household? Please do not copy any of your current saves/CC/Tray files from your current folder into the one that is newly created, for now.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 13 (3,344 Views)

★ Guide

@Bluebellflora I'm also having these issues. The graphics/game lag has become so bad that I've just stopped playing ):

I've tried every way of fixing it (including the steps you mentioned) but nothing has seemed to work..

For reference, here are my specs:

macOS Catalina (10.15.2)

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)

Processor: 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

Memory: 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

For my game, I have everything installed except Vampires Game Pack, My First Pet Stuff, and Spooky Stuff

I would love to be able to play again, especially with the new Stuff Pack coming out soon

Message 4 of 13 (3,308 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Bluebellflora No the game runs smoothly on a new save. But I have done this before and then just added in my mods, saves, and tray folders. so It must be something in one of those?
Message 5 of 13 (3,294 Views)

@kimofry12

Yes, undoubtedly Frown

Try moving over your saves first then test to see how it is.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 13 (3,263 Views)

@lamebabe

Do you play with CC/Mods?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 13 (3,262 Views)

★ Guide
@Bluebellflora nope! Made sure I had a totally vanilla game, and still no luck
Message 8 of 13 (3,240 Views)
Highlighted

@lamebabe

So even with a brand new clean game it still happens? What else do you have open on your Mac when you're playing? What is running in the background?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 13 (3,213 Views)

★ Guide
@Bluebellflora Yeah, a clean game doesn't seem to be helping..
When I open the game, I always make sure there aren't any apps running in the background (except origin ofc).
I also make sure I'm the only active/logged in account on the computer

There's also been a weird screen glitch that started around the same time as the lag.. It often happens when I use the keyboard.
It's hard to describe, but it's a quick flash/flicker where the screen gets multi-coloured and distorted? 😕
Message 10 of 13 (3,189 Views)