Sims disappearing after coming home from university

by wastedlizzy

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims disappearing after coming home from university

★★★ Apprentice

After my sims graduates university they go home and then when they get back home the screen shows up as if the the objects are missing and when i went to town edit my sims wasn't there and i went back to the recent save and it keeps on doing the same thing.Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 1.23.30 AM.png

Message 1 of 55 (9,436 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims disappearing after coming home from university

[ Edited ]

@wastedlizzy  Click on my username, and you'll land on my profile page, from where you can send me a private message.  Or you could just post the link in this thread.  Either way, I'll test the save in the next few hours.

Please also list the expansion and stuff packs you currently have installed.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 55 (9,383 Views)

All Replies

@wastedlizzy  A sim not returning home is a sign of the travel transition breaking, which it often does.  There are ways to try to fix it both with and without mods.  Without them, the best you can do is lower the stress on the game engine as much as possible beforehand and hope for the best.

• Empty your sims' inventories as much as possible.  A few items is fine; a hundred is not.
  • Use "save as" to rename the save, then quit (without saving) immediately before you want to travel.
  • Load the game just to the Main Menu.  Turn off memories, the in-game shopping experience, and the hidden object interactive loading screens.
  • Lower all the graphics settings to the minimum.  (You can revert to your normal settings after the travel transition.)  Now quit the game again, without loading a save.
  • Delete the five cache files in your game folder in Documents: CASPartCache, compositorCache, scriptCache, simCompositorCache, and socialCache.
  • Empty out everything in FeaturedItems as well.
  • Sign into Origin and put it in offline mode.  Disconnect your computer from the internet—turn off wifi and/or pull the ethernet cord.
  • Now launch your game, load the save, and send your sim home right away, as soon as the game clock starts moving forward.

If this doesn't work and you want to try using mods, let me know.

I'd never seen the missing objects warning paired with the travel transition until recently, so I'm not sure it would be fixed in the same way.  It's worth trying though.  If your sim is safely back home but objects are still missing, please let me know whether all your packs, store items, and custom content are still loading.

Message 2 of 55 (9,403 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I downloaded Error trap and traveler from Nraas and it work but my sims didn't appear it just say graduate and come back home and then it crashed

Message 3 of 55 (9,398 Views)

@wastedlizzy  If you're willing to share you save, I can try it myself.  You can upload it somewhere and PM me the link.

Message 4 of 55 (9,391 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

How do i send you the link?

Message 5 of 55 (9,388 Views)

[ Edited ]

@wastedlizzy  Click on my username, and you'll land on my profile page, from where you can send me a private message.  Or you could just post the link in this thread.  Either way, I'll test the save in the next few hours.

Please also list the expansion and stuff packs you currently have installed.

Message 6 of 55 (9,384 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hey this is also happening to me! I followed all your instructions for doing it mod-less but the error happens every time. Do you know any other way to fix it?

Message 7 of 55 (9,274 Views)

@butterboy456  Do you have any custom content?  One possible cause of a broken travel transition is bad cc, and the only good solution is to remove it.  Let me know if you need help with this process, or if you don't use cc at all.

Please also let me know the packs you have installed, and whether your sims are returning from university or somewhere else.

Message 8 of 55 (9,261 Views)

★ Novice

I don't use any CC and my sim is returning home from university when this glitch happens. I have World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Seasons, Supernatural and University along with Diesel, Fast Lane and Master Suite. 

Message 9 of 55 (9,242 Views)

@butterboy456  Unfortunately, without mods, there's not much else you can do.  If you do want to try mods, the relevant ones are NRaas ErrorTrap, Overwatch, and Traveler.; they work on default settings, without any need to tinker with them  You could actually remove them when your sim was back home, although they do a number of useful things to keep saves running well.

I could also experiment with your save a bit, if you want.  The issue is that I don't own Diesel or Fast Lane, so if I got your save through the travel transition and sent it back to you, the save would be missing any items from those packs.  If you're interested anyway, feel free to upload your save somewhere and PM me the link.

Message 10 of 55 (9,230 Views)