Re: Sims 4 will not load properly for game play

by Tremayne4260

Original Post

@candiecoatediv

Please can you provide more information about your Mac and game. Instructions on what we need and how to do so here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 11 of 33 (806 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@Bluebellflora

macOS Mojave

MacBook Pro (13inch, Mid 2012)

Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

No I do not have an anti-virus

Yes I have tried repairing my game several times. It will resolve the issue temporarily then it will start acting up again. 

I have not had any CC/Mods installed for this game

I have moved my Sims folder from the directory as your instructions stated, as I was trying to troubleshoot, and it worked. So I then placed my game back into the folder and I didn't have any issues with music, but the lag was still there. 

That's as far as I have gotten. I have been cleaning up my laptop by removing stuff I don't use to free up space because I was down to only 99GB of space. 

I have not played since completing that this evening. 

Please let me know if you need any additional information. 

Message 12 of 33 (785 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@Bluebellflora

Update: I loaded the game and it went from the initial loading screen to the main screen where I would select to play without issue. Once I select to play my game, I only have on game saved, it will go to the world. Once I select a family to play, it get hung up on the loading screen with no sound for about 30 second la to a minute  then it will start playing several songs at once, will take a very long time to load then will have continuous music play of several songs while in live mode. 

Message 13 of 33 (780 Views)

Champion

@candiecoatediv, I see part of your problem is that you only have 4GB of RAM. While that is fine to the play the Base Game, you really should have 8GB of RAM to play the game. While you do not play with CC or Mods, the more EPs/GPs/SPs you add to the game, the more your computer struggles to play the game. Seasons and Cats and Dogs/Pets (which are very heavy hitters for Sims 3 in terms of graphics and gameplay) are probably similar in nature for Sims 4. 

@Bluebellflora, may have more information than I, but that looks like one of your issues.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 14 of 33 (769 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@Tremayne4260 Thank you for the heads up. Do you know if there is a way to increase the RAM without having to purchase a new laptop? I’m sure this is probably an Apple question. Honestly to tell the truth, I don’t even like cats and dogs. If I were to remove it, can I remove that pack individually or would I have to uninstall and reinstall the entire game? Also, could I transfer that particular pack to someone else? 

Message 15 of 33 (758 Views)

@candiecoatediv

As @Tremayne4260 has pointed out, 4Gb RAM is on the low side. Upgrading to 8Gb RAM is super easy and something you can do yourself, if you're careful. You should install 2x 4Gb RAM chips. The exact spec of the chip needed is 204-pin PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM, here's a link to it on Amazon (you will need two). And here's a link to Apple's instructions - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201165#1 It should take no longer than 5 minutes, a bit more if you're super cautious.

But...... you are also severely hampered by the Intel 4000 graphics chip in your Mac which is not upgradeable. Lower all your graphics settings, don't have any CC, and be selective about the number of packs you install.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 16 of 33 (1,492 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@Bluebellflora And @Tremayne4260 thank you! All of the information you’ve supplied has been really helpful. I will definitely look at the information as soon as I get home. Do you know if there is a way to uninstall packs individually? I really don’t like the pets pack. 

Message 17 of 33 (737 Views)

@candiecoatediv

Crin has written a guide here on how to disable packs in Origin - https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2017/03/disable-single-packs/

Personally I would uninstall the game and all packs, disable automatic downloads in Origin, then install the base game and selective packs.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 18 of 33 (733 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@Bluebellflora thank you. I have contacted apple and read the installation instructions. It seems pretty straight forward. In reading the installation guide linked above, and based on your recommendation, your recommendation sounds the safest to ensure I don't mess up my game. I'm sure there is a link somewhere on this site, but can I uninstall my game and reinstall but keep all of my sims I've created? I don't care if I have to start my progress over again I just want to keep my households. 

Message 19 of 33 (723 Views)

[ Edited ]

@candiecoatediv

Sure. Go into Documents > Electronic Arts and move the Sims 4 folder to your desktop. You could also make a backup of it too in your Documents folder, or to an external drive, or upload to some kind of online storage like iCloud/Dropbox/Google Drive etc.

The Sims 4 folder has all your saves in it. There is also a Tray folder which is where your saved households and lots are stored.

As an additional backup of your households, you could also upload them to the Gallery Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 20 of 33 (715 Views)