Re: Sims 4 suddenly started crashing on macbook when loading household

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Sims 4 suddenly started crashing on macbook when loading household

★★★ Novice

So I’ve always played the sims 4 on my macbook with absolutely no issues at all. I don’t use mods or CC. The other day however the game suddenly crashed during gameplay, with the message ‘the sims 4 has unexpectedly quit’ it gives no further info except a crash file with loads of words I can’t make sense of. I have been through these forums and have tried updating (game up to date), repairing the game on origin twice, updating (origin automatically updated my game to legacy edition as well but this was after the crash and I thought it might solve the issue but it didn’t) . My laptop is updated too.

The interesting part is I also tried dragging the sims 4 file out of the EA file onto my desktop as suggested on the forums and the game actually worked in gameplay when I relaunched (usually crashes when I try to load a household). So my thinking is something is wrong with my save files, as I dragged the save file from the old sims 4 file into the new one and it crashed again. 
My Macbook is OS X El Capitan (13 inch early 2015) with 1.6 GHz processor. 

It’s driving me insane trying to fix this, so please let me know if anyone can figure out what’s gone wrong and how I fix this, I don’t want to lose my save files as I’ve spent so much time on them!

Thanks Standard smile

Message 1 of 12 (798 Views)

@hanch01

Your issue is most likely El Capitan - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/-Sims-4-issues-with-Mac-OS-X-El-Capitan/m-p/8441782#M...

And you won't be running the Legacy Edition as your Mac supports Metal.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 12 (773 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you! So I updated last night and now have the macOS Sierra version 10.12.6. Started up the game again and unfortunately the same thing happened, clicked on my household and after a few seconds of the loading screen it crashed and just said it’s quit unexpectedly ☹️

As it loaded properly when I dragged my old sims 4 file out the EA folder but then crashed again when I dragged my old save file back in, do you think it could be to do with my save folder??

Message 3 of 12 (754 Views)

@hanch01

Yep, because Sierra is even worse than El Capitan for issues. You need to update to High Sierra or later - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/-CURRENT-ISSUE-Sims-4-does-not-launch-in-macOS-Sierra...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 12 (751 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ohh I see! Right, will download High Sierra now and see if it helps. Thanks! Standard smile

Message 5 of 12 (743 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora Updated, I’m now on MacOS High Sierra and it’s still crashing. Any suggestions? 

Message 6 of 12 (734 Views)
Highlighted

@hanch01

Frown Exactly the same crash with the same log file? Is there a lastCrash report in the Sims 4 folder? Must be something in the save file. If you upload it to a file sharing site and PM me the link I'll test it in my game.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 12 (721 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora  Yep, same type of crash Frown thank you so much, will PM you a link now Standard smile

Message 8 of 12 (711 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora for some reason dropbox thinks my save file is empty and won’t upload! Only let me upload the crash file. Let me know if there’s another way you might be able to help me out, really got no idea where to go next Frown 

Message 9 of 12 (687 Views)

@hanch01

How about the saves folder, not just the file? Google Drive is good, just make sure that the link you share works for "anyone" before sending it to me Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 10 of 12 (685 Views)