Spiky bars and crashing on new install

by goldenpaperwings

Original Post

Sims 4 spiky graphical glitches

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I don’t know what’s going on with my sims. There’s a line at her foot that stretches across the screen and flickers. Then certain objects in my house does the same, especially my apartment. Now, my computer keeps freezing for long periods of time. But I can literally do other things for long periods of time. I’m finally at a university and almost everything is in different shapes on my sim following me, the buildings all break up into different shapes, etc.

I took away mods and scripts, restarted computer, lowered resolution, even started all over with my sim, and when creating her, I even a little glitch of her being blue even though I picked brown. But at least I was able to create her and be in CAS for a long time.😭😭 I contacted IT, gave my Mac credentials and they couldn’t even figure it out. This is really annoying because I just downloaded university. But even before that my game had a similar glitch. Please. Can anyone help??

hopefully this makes sense. I attached a picture of a building at a university. 

Message 1 of 27 (4,704 Views)

Sims 4 Graphics Glitches

★★★★ Novice

I noticed that ever since I installed Discover University, I noticed that I've been getting these weirds graphical glitches with buildings and sometimes even with sims. For refrence I play on a late-2013 iMac with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB graphics. I play with very few mods and even tried changing my settings from High to Low Medium and the glitches still happen, I recently updated my computer to Catalina, in hopes that the issue with be fixed. Is there anything I can do to fix this? 

5egtmh9g11341.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 12.12.47 PM.png

Message 2 of 27 (4,673 Views)

Re: Sims 4 is glitching.

@krojo11 @ErinandtheTIGERS 

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so and what to provide here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 27 (4,649 Views)

Re: Sims 4 spiky graphical glitches

★★★ Novice

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon R9 M370X

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 2048 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6821

Revision ID: 0x0083

ROM Revision: 113-C5670E-945

gMux Version: 4.0.20 [3.2.8]

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.945

I have no mods (took them out to see if that was the problem...it's not), I tried updating my computer but no update is found. I just REALLY want to play University. I literally waited till it was on sale to purchase (because reviews said it wasn't worth it's Frown $40 value )

Message 4 of 27 (4,619 Views)

Spiky bars and crashing on new install

★★ Apprentice

I've just installed Sims 4 on my Macbook Pro from Origin. Created a sim, and some graphic glitches of strange bars started coming out of the sim in CAS. Game crashed when I moved the sim into a town. Game now alternates between showing the spiky bars coming out at odd angles from the middle of the screen, then crashing, or just giving a white screen on loading. 

It was difficult to get a screenshot of the lines and bars as they're very quick - there is a thin bar in the middle of the photo and a large one underneath the little notification on the right.

My mac specs:

Operating system: 10.11.6

Model: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2015)

Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M370X

Intel Iris Pro

Message 5 of 27 (4,617 Views)

Re: Spiky bars and crashing on new install

★ Guide
@goldenpaperwings There appears to be issues with The Sims 4 at the moment exclusive to this particular graphics card. Hopefully someone can help you get this sorted better than I can.
Message 6 of 27 (4,589 Views)

@krojo11

Thanks. Which version of macOS are you running? Does this still happen with a completely new, clean Sims 4 folder with no previous saves or other files?

@goldenpaperwings

Merged your post into this one on the issue. Thanks for your specs, really helpful Standard smile Could you also please try a new clean game folder with no previous data to see if the issue still persists?

@AriaMad2

This issue is not exclusive to one particular graphics card.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 27 (4,570 Views)

★★★ Novice

This still happens with a new saved game and all. I’ve refreshed, deleted saved, reinstalled origin and everything. I think my Mac is captain. 

Message 8 of 27 (4,557 Views)

@krojo11

Could you please check whether it is actually El Capitan. It will state the OS in the system info window when you click on About This Mac.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 27 (4,551 Views)

★★★ Novice

It is El Captain. I had to wait to get my computer back on. 

Message 10 of 27 (4,548 Views)