Sims 4 screen enlarged, cursor stuck in zoom mode

by DutchGuyDesign

Original Post

Sims 4 screen enlarged, cursor stuck in zoom mode

★★★ Newbie

My Kids play Sims 4 on an iMac, OSX 10.9.5, 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo. The last time, just before the game was shut down, one of them managed to screw up some screen setting or other: everything was blown up in size, and the cursor got stuck on being the + zoom tool. The entire computer screen - desk top, all other applications active at the time - were effected as wel.

The only way we found we could close down the game was by force-stop, and that solved the problem for the rest of the system as well, but as soon as we open Sims 4 up again (either direct from the applications shortcut or from within Origin) the issue pops up again.

I'm guessing the kid accidentally activated a key stroke shortcut that enlarged the view, but I don't know what button combo that might be, or what I can do within the game menu to put this right. Remember, the cursor doesn't work as it normally would, so it won't click on menu items.

Any help appreciated.

Message 1 of 10 (9,887 Views)

Re: Sims 4 screen enlarged, cursor stuck in zoom mode

Hero (Retired)

@DutchGuyDesign This post is being moved to the Sims Mac forum

Message 2 of 10 (9,880 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi, 

I was experiencing the same issue! (I have the same computer as you are describing.) Try launching the Sims 4 application either from your applications folder, the desktop, or from the Origin app. When you are on the starting screen, click the three dots on the upper-right hand corner, and enter the "Game Options" menu. You should enter the "Graphics" tab, and in that tab, locate the "Display Type" option. Originally, it should say "Fullscreen". Click the drop-down menu, and select the "Windowed" option. It should fade into black and fade out to your desktop, and you should find that your Mac has gone back to normal. You can then change the drop-down menu back to "Fullscreen", and you can play as normal. 

I hope this helps you or anyone else visiting this page!

Message 3 of 10 (9,394 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello, I know i am late, but I had the same problem on my Macbook Air 2017. Everything enlarged and i was still able to acces my System Prefrences and I saw my resolution changed. So then I started Sims in windowed mode and turned off the Retina display setting in video in The sims setting and BAM! I could go into fullscreen with no problem.

Message 4 of 10 (8,396 Views)

My Game is too Zoomed In. Help.

★★★ Newbie

Hey guys, I play The Sims 4 on my MacBook M1 2020 that I connect (through USB-C to HDMI) to my Acer desktop monitor. I noticed whenever I play the game on my laptop, no issues arise but when I play on my desktop monitor (with the laptop closed down), it's too zoomed in. I have attached an image. If you encountered a similar problem I'm having but were able to figure out how to fix it, I would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Message 5 of 10 (1,977 Views)

Re: My Game is too Zoomed In. Help.

@professorjp

Are you using a 24” monitor?

You don’t have any resolution set in the game options. Set a resolution and see if that helps.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 6 of 10 (1,961 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have a 23.8" monitor. Sorry for not including that. 

Message 7 of 10 (1,951 Views)

@professorjp

Thanks. Do you think it's the problem other users have posted here? https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/M1-Mac-mini-display-resolution-issues-after-closing-g... We narrowed it down to 24" monitors being the issue. Did changing the resolution help?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 8 of 10 (1,942 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
Hi @professorjp,

I've had a similar issue with my monitor, it isn't 23.8" but I managed to fix it so I hope the same solution helps you. In game options if you click on "Accessibility" there should be a slider called "UI Scale". This should adjust the zoom on your screen. I'll upload a screen shot if you would like.

Hope this helps!
Message 9 of 10 (1,931 Views)

★ Novice
@d3luxyy This worked for me and I’ve had the issue for ages. Only playing in windowed mode worked. So I turned off Retina display and reset the resolution to the highest setting for my monitor and it finally works again! Thanks!
Message 10 of 10 (1,894 Views)