Re: Sims 4 resolution issues

by ouchbailey

Original Post

Sims 4 resolution issues

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I'm having an issue that I think might be a mac problem more than a sims problem. I have a 2016 13 inch macbook pro. I stupidly mirrored my computer to my tv via apple tv to watch a movie and then I launched sims and played it for a few minutes, not remembering that last time I did that it caused the same issue I'm having now. I usually play with 1440x900 resolution. When I stopped mirroring my computer, my entire computer's resolution was set to 1440x900, and now whenever I launch the game that happens. Previously, when i would launch the game it wouldn't change the resolution on my computer and when i went to display settings on my computer it would say "default for display." However now whenever sims 4 is open in the display settings for my computer it says "scaled" instead of default and it's noticeably bad quality. Basically I want to be able to play sims in 1440x900 resolution without it changing the resolution on my whole computer, because that's what I was doing before I mirrored my computer. I'm especially annoyed cuz i had this problem before and somehow fixed it but I can't remember what i did to fix it haha. 

Part of the problem is that whenever i change the resolution on my computer while sims 4 is open, it puts sims 4 in windowed mode, and then when i put it back on full screen, it just changes the resolution of my computer again, so i'm kinda stuck in a loop. I've already tried deleting the options.ini file to reset the settings but that didn't fix the issue. I've also tried repairing my game but that didn't fix it. 

There is a solution of basically just playing sims in higher resolution by playing with the retina display box checked, but it still changes the resolution on my computer because when i go to settings it says "scaled" instead of "default" but it at least is good enough quality on my computer that it doesn't bug me. When I'm playing sims i often switch back to my desktop to use imessage or google something when my sim is doing something that takes a long time, so that's why i care in the first place. Also, my computer is kinda weak and the fps is basically halved when I play in higher resolution, and i dont think it would be playable if I wanted to play on a big lot like the ones in del sol valley, i already have to play on very low settings to prevent lag, so that's why I'd prefer to play in lower resolution. 

Message 1 of 12 (2,596 Views)

@ouchbailey

Have you restarted your Mac? That often fixes any resolution issues, especially if it has been plugged in or mirroring to another screen.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 12 (2,585 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Unfortunately restarting my computer didn’t fix it. It’s definitely a very odd issue. I had my friend who’s an IT manager for a company that uses macs look at my computer and he said he has no idea how to fix it haha. Gonna keep fiddling around with it cuz I know I fixed it before! I need to start writing down the solution to issues I have with sims cuz this isn’t the first time I forgot how I fixed something that came up again lol. 

Message 3 of 12 (2,572 Views)

@ouchbailey

Did you or your friend reset the PRAM/NVRAM? https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204063

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 12 (2,558 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@Bluebellflora I will try that as soon as I get home today! Thanks for your help!
Message 5 of 12 (2,534 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@Bluebellflora I reset the SMC, PRAM, NVRAM, and it didn't work, I also tried reinstalling the game but it still happened
Message 6 of 12 (2,490 Views)

@ouchbailey

Ok. Which version of macOS are you running?

Do you have an Apple store near you? Could you make a Genius Bar appointment and have them look at your Mac? Someone needs to get hands on with your machine and the game to properly see what’s going on I think Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 12 (2,474 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@Bluebellflora macOS catalina 10.15.3. And yes I will make an appointment at the genius bar! Thanks for your help with trying to figure it out.
Message 8 of 12 (2,444 Views)

@ouchbailey

Hope you get it sorted. Please do come back once Apple have looked at it, I'm really interested in what the solution is, whether it's game related or Mac related Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 12 (2,428 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Mine does the same thing. I sometimes disable retina and switch to a lower res to speed things up when building. However, playing Sims in fullscreen makes macOS res mirror that of the game = better performance in Sims but I can’t really use my mac for anything else while playing.

Never really found any workaround other than playing in windowed mode, or switching to windowed mode when I want to use my Mac for something else while still leaving the game running in the background. 

Message 10 of 12 (1,872 Views)