Sims 4 not working on iMac

by RoastPumpkin

Original Post

Sims 4 not working on iMac

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hello,

I cannot manage to get the sims working on my mac. 

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling The sims and Origin client multiple times and repairing + updating. 

Removing CC + other suggestions in this form including moving the Sims 4 folder to the desktop then attempting to launch the game with no luck. Trash the localthumbcache.package file etc.

My computer specs

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

Processor 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

As soon as I click play the colour wheel will show, the resolution is changed and then I am logged out or sometimes freezes altogether forcing me to restart. There are no error messages or anything showing up. I want to buy more expansion packs and play the game. From what I can see my computer specs are not bad so it should work (It works on an old toshiba laptop with less than 4GB memory) so whats the deal? 

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Message 1 of 8 (522 Views)

Re: Sims 4 not working on iMac

@RoastPumpkin

Which version of macOS?

Have you moved your Sims 4 folder to the desktop and tried a new clean game?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 8 (492 Views)

★★★ Novice

Mac OS High Sierra version 10.13.1. 

Sorry I just updated the orignal post and have moved the folder to the desktop.

What do you mean by tried a clean new game? I have uninstalled completely and re-installed. The game does not open at all for me to hit the play button. 

Message 3 of 8 (490 Views)

@RoastPumpkin

A new clean game is when you move the Sims 4 folder to the desktop so when you load the game it has none of your saves/mods/tray or user settings in it. It's like new again.

Can you update High Sierra to 10.13.6 in System Preferences and see if that helps? 10.13.1 is really out of date.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 8 (456 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora 

Thanks for your response. Yes I have moved the folder to the desktop and opened the program again - still nothing.

I could update, but I don't particularly want the overall function of my mac to be slower.

If there are no other suggestions I will have to just keep playing on an older laptop. I did attempt to add the sims to firewall and my anti-virus exception list and still nothing.

Message 5 of 8 (437 Views)

@RoastPumpkin

Why do you think your Mac will slow down by updating to 10.13.6? It's not an OS upgrade, which still shouldn't slow down your Mac. You're running a very outdated and potentially insecure version of High Sierra.

How about disabling your firewall and antivirus? I would be more concerned about an old build of High Sierra than if my firewall and antivirus were up to date and running (I use neither but always make sure my OS is up to date).

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 8 (408 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm having this issue as well. I'm on Catalina though, and my screen will go bright red - and then freeze.

Message 7 of 8 (318 Views)

@racttele 

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so and what to provide here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 8 (300 Views)