‎Sims 4 not showing up in Documents/Electronic Arts folder?

by chaimxxn

Original Post

‎Sims 4 not showing up in Documents/Electronic Arts folder?

★★★ Novice

Hi everyone. I submitted this question back in June with no success, although a great many people were kind enough to lend me their time trying to help. 

I bought and installed the Digital Deluxe edition of Sims 4 through Origin on my Mac. I had zero issues throughout the entire process, including up until I started playing the game. Everything runs perfectly, I have no errors at all, and gameplay is smooth. However, when I try to go to the Electronic Arts folder in Documents, I can't find it anywhere. I had it when I played Sims 3 and had no issues. However I deleted it when I did a clean uninstall of Sims 3 to move to Sims 4. When I installed Sims 4, it was never remade. I've tried the "iCloud" thing, but I don't use it so it's always turned off for me anyway. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Sims 4, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Origin, ... nothing works. I've played the game for over 15 hours now and it still won't jumpstart the Electronic Arts folder. 

Can anyone help me? I've run out of ideas I can try. I don't know what to do. 

Message 1 of 17 (7,254 Views)

Re: ‎Sims 4 not showing up in Documents/Electronic Arts folder?

Champion (Retired)

Since you are on a Mac with ICloud. You may get better help in the Sims 4 Mac forum.

@crinrictcould you please move this?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 17 (7,206 Views)

@chaimxxn

Are you absolutely sure you don't have iCloud Drive enabled? Can you please check by using this guide?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 17 (7,194 Views)

★★★ Novice

I am sure. I never use iCloud and always have it off, and I have used that guide before. iCloud is completely turned off, and I even turned it on temporarily to look in the files and nothing was there. Frown

Message 4 of 17 (7,187 Views)

@chaimxxn

Can you please try repairing the game by right clicking on it in your Games Library in Origin and select Repair Game?

If you don't have an Electronic Arts folder in your Documents folder can you create one?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 17 (7,182 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have tried repairing the game and it never found any errors or abnormalities. I'm currently reinstalling Sims 4, hoping maybe a 3rd-times-the-charm thing?

I was actually wondering about that, because sometimes in CC in the mods folder, the resources document is missing and you can create a new one. But there's more in the EA folder, isn't there? Because doesn't it also contain like game save files and such? And I'm not sure if you can re/create those easily...

Message 6 of 17 (7,171 Views)

@chaimxxn

The Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 folder contains all your saves/CC/saved lots(Tray)/game settings etc. Without it the game will recreate a new one every time you load up the game (which is the first troubleshooting step a user should try if their game will not load).

When you repair the game you will not know if there are any issues fixed as the game is just repaired.

Let us know how the new install goes Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 17 (7,158 Views)

★★★ Novice

Finished the new install and played the game for a few minutes, saved a new game file and exited. Checked to see if the Electronic Arts folder was there and it wasn't. I then repaired the game, still no EA folder, then played the game for about 15-20 minutes, saved a new game file, and it still didn't create the folder. AHHHHHH. Frown I don't know what to do. 

Message 8 of 17 (7,144 Views)

[ Edited ]

@chaimxxn

Something on your Mac is causing this issue, it's not the game. Do you have Antivirus running? Do you use a 3rd party 'cleaning' App. which claims to get rid of unwanted files? Is your Home folder running from an external drive?

And you are 100% sure that iCloud Drive is NOT enabled? In system Preferences > iCloud it should not be checked:

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 19.30.06.png

Can you open your Documents folder and keep looking at it whilst loading the game. Is an Electronic Arts folder generated?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 17 (7,131 Views)

★★★ Novice

I use Norton for an antivirus, and I've never had any issues with it. It hasn't given me any errors or issues with the game. iCloud is definitely turned off. (I attached a pic to show.) I also do not use an external drive. And I don't use any 3rd party "cleaners" or anything like that - Norton does just find and I regularly manually clean out unused/unwanted files. 

I also opened up the game as you suggested with the Documents folder open and there is still no Electronic Arts folder. Frown I'm thinking I should try contacting EA support again but I'm uncomfortable with telephone calls and their chatline isn't working for some reason so I've kind of been refreshing the page every few hours to see if the online chat will finally work...

Message 10 of 17 (7,124 Views)