Re: Sims 4 non legacy on 2008 Mac Pro ?

by Familyguy9877

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 non legacy on 2008 Mac Pro ?

★★ Novice

Hello I am new to this site but wondering if it is at all possible to run the non legacy version of the sims 4 on a 2008 Mac Pro if I install a METAL supporting GTX 680 graphics card? I have not purchased the card yet because I don’t want to spend the money unless I know it will allow all game functions to run as normal. But from my understanding my machine with that card meets all hardware and OS requirements. 

my primary concern is weather or not the game will outright reject my machine just do to the fact it’s a 2008 regardless of the hardware and software supporting every function of the game.  

I have a 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 8 core 3.2ghz running OSX 10.13 high Sierra and will have a metal supported video card if that is what it takes to make the full non legacy game run.  

thanks for any help in advance. 

Message 1 of 9 (1,384 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

FYI for anyone interested, the sims 4 FULL NON LEGACY VERSION WORKS on the Mac Pro 3,1 with a metal supported GTX 680 4gb graphics card and its buttery smooth at 1920x1200 and graphics on high. Very slight lag with graphics on ultra but overall very impressed, no mods to make it work just boots the full game with all fully functional expansion packs and online features as it would on any officially supported Mac! Coincidentally very shortly after my initial post my old 512mb stock GeForce card started glitching periodically then completely refused to boot so I ordered this much more powerful card to replace it and contrary to the previous response was surprised to find the full game working flawlessly. This should be made known to anyone with older Mac pros that they absolutely can run the full game with an upgraded video card!  

View in thread

Message 3 of 9 (1,233 Views)

All Replies

@Familyguy9877

No it won't https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205073

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 9 (1,330 Views)

★★ Novice

FYI for anyone interested, the sims 4 FULL NON LEGACY VERSION WORKS on the Mac Pro 3,1 with a metal supported GTX 680 4gb graphics card and its buttery smooth at 1920x1200 and graphics on high. Very slight lag with graphics on ultra but overall very impressed, no mods to make it work just boots the full game with all fully functional expansion packs and online features as it would on any officially supported Mac! Coincidentally very shortly after my initial post my old 512mb stock GeForce card started glitching periodically then completely refused to boot so I ordered this much more powerful card to replace it and contrary to the previous response was surprised to find the full game working flawlessly. This should be made known to anyone with older Mac pros that they absolutely can run the full game with an upgraded video card!  

Message 3 of 9 (1,234 Views)

★★ Novice
Message 4 of 9 (1,232 Views)

@Familyguy9877

Oh that's great! Wonder why Apple didn't include it in that article? Thanks for coming back and confirming, great for anyone else with the same Mac looking for answers Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 9 (1,227 Views)

@Familyguy9877

Could you attach your Config.log from the Sims 4 folder to see the rating the game gives the hardware? Would be really interesting to see.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 9 (1,216 Views)

★★ Novice

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 4.41.29 PM.png

@Bluebellflora 

Even Claims it to be a Mac Pro 3,1. 

This proves the Sims must actually hardware check for compatibility instead of assuming obsolescence based on machine code. Major props to everyone at EA for programming this way and including us guys running older but still powerful enough machines!

Message 7 of 9 (1,154 Views)

★★ Novice

Just noticed it does list for graphics driver "Mac OS Metal Driver" I'll bet this is what the game checks for, as this should be the only thing that would have changed since it didn't work before. 

Message 8 of 9 (1,151 Views)

@Familyguy9877

Thanks Standard smile I've linked to your thread in the LE sticky in case others with a 2008 Mac Pro are curious too. Really great info!

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 9 (1,111 Views)