Sims 4 making brand new MacBook Pro overheat!

by ReptileGirl23

Original Post

Re: Sims 4 making brand new MacBook Pro overheat!

@ReptileGirl23

Ah ok. You still have a great Mac though Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 21 of 34 (2,319 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I wonder if it's anything to do with JB HiFi models or batch they're selling - I have the exact same issues - brand new macbook pro and can't even play sims it's burning far too hot even with the fans on but my 2016 macbook pro is totally fine?

Message 22 of 34 (2,232 Views)

@stageman405

What surface are you playing on?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 23 of 34 (2,220 Views)

Re: New MacBook Pro is overheating with sims 4

★★★★★ Newbie

Honestly, laptops just really aren't great for running games because they don't have a good built in cooling system. (I think some proper gaming laptops have better cooling but idk) In the winter I usually just run a usb powered laptop cooling stand and crack the window open so it can draw in the cool air, but what I recently discovered for the summer is I just place it on a regular old box fan (sounds stupid but it works) Throw some noise canceling headphones on to drown out the drone and it does wonders. I have a 4 year old MacBook and with the box fan the internal fan doesn't even turn on.

Message 24 of 34 (2,200 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Alexiholic thanks for the helpful tips!
I guess it still doesn’t explain the fact that the old MacBooks with far less power (my 10yo one is 2gb ram!) can manage it just fine with literally no problem at all but a brand new MacBook Pro struggles. Oh well!
Message 25 of 34 (2,198 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I am having this same issue. Brand new MacBook and the keyboard gets so hot I scorch my fingers typing in cheats, etc. This only happens with Origin/TS4 nothing else. I’ve turned off Retina display and lowered settings but it makes no difference. I’ve purchased a cooling tray which helps underneath but does nothing for the key board. Perhaps I need to also invest in an external keyboard? 

Message 26 of 34 (2,030 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I should add that I didn’t notice this problem initially but it has become impossible to ignore since the latest update from Origin, 

Message 27 of 34 (2,037 Views)

Re: Retina Macbook Pro gets VERY HOT with Sims 4

★ Guide

I know I’m posting years after the OP but I share this issue and have found no solutions. Brand new MacBook, Retina display off, all resolutions set as low as possible, cooling tray underneath the Mac, and still while playing Sims (and only then), the keyboard gets too hot to touch. Desperate for help, Thanks

Message 28 of 34 (2,051 Views)

Re: Retina Macbook Pro gets VERY HOT with Sims 4

@nickinbigd 

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so and what to provide here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

Could you also please screenshot your in-game graphics options and attach the picture. Do you have laptop mode enabled?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 29 of 34 (2,019 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've got the exact same problem with my new 2019 15" MacBook Pro (specs: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz RAM, 2.3Ghz Intel Core i9-9880H and AMD Radeon™ Pro 560X with 4GB of GDDR5)

And I can't even run the game on low settings, with Retina Display turned off and Laptop mode turned on without sitting in front of a offtaking Jet.

I run a CAD Programm on it with big Projects and it works just fine, where my 2011 iMac's fans turn on.

How can that be?

Message 30 of 34 (1,831 Views)