Re: Sims 4 freezes on startup then crashes - MacBook Pro (Mojave)

by dzm06

Original Post

Sims 4 freezes on startup then crashes - MacBook Pro (Mojave)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi,

I'm really sorry to be making another post like this, but I've been through dozens of threads and nothing has worked. I've been playing the Sims 4 since 2017 and have had ups and downs with how well it works, but I've always gotten it to run eventually. Since July 2019, I haven't even been able to get the game to open. 

I just checked and I am running the latest version of Origin (10.5.52.32372) and Sims 4 (updated last night). I also have no problem running games from Steam or other clients, it's just Origin and Sims 4.

Here's what happens:

1. I open Origin, which sometimes takes a few tries as the application freezes. I often have to force quit and try 3-4 times before it opens.
  2. Once Origin opens, I click on the Sims. I sometimes also have to force quit the app 3-4 times before I get the loading screen.
  3. It then opens to the blue Sims 4 screen.
  4. The game freezes on THE SIMS 4 logo and I get the rainbow wheel. Often the startup music starts playing, but the game itself is still frozen.
  5. After a few minutes of this, the game crashes.

I've tried:

• Removing mods -- I only had one CC file and I removed it over a year ago when it stopped working after a Sims update. I don't even have a mods folder anymore from what I can tell -- could it be hiding somewhere?
  • Turning off Origin in-game; this has fixed stuff in the past but now it doesn't stop the crash
  • Repairing the game (many times! it's always very slow, not sure if this says anything); still crashes
  • Moving Sims 4 folder to desktop and starting fresh; still crashes
  • Opening Sims 4 from the application folder; opens more quickly but still crashes
  • Removing the Sims 4 file in the Package Content folder; still crashes
  • Updating everything; still crashes
  • Removing all apps from startup (just Flux for me); still crashes
  • Logging in and out of Origin; still crashes

My Mac specs are:

Mac OS Mojave v 10.14.5

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 MB

I have:

Seasons

Cats and Dogs

Get to Work

Strangerville

Laundry Stuff

Jungle (seemed to stop working after I downloaded this one in July)

I've attached a picture of the screen I get to and also of my Sims 4 folder, just in case anyone can see something that I should delete. Thank you so much for any ideas!!

Message 1 of 10 (2,048 Views)

@wildflowermural

Could you attach the lastexception file or copy/paste it’s contents here?

Could you set up a new user account on your Mac and see if you can launch the game in that account? Your Mac specs are weak and you would definitely benefit from upgrading to 8GB RAM but you should at least be able to launch the game on your machine.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 10 (2,010 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora 

Thank you for your help! I just tried setting up a new profile and the game still wouldn't start. 

I should probably get a new computer soon, but it's in good shape and runs fine other than this issue (and tbh I can see on Activity Monitor that the memory pressure is fine even while the Sims is on) so I have to decide if it's worth it to upgrade mainly for games. It seems like it should at least run since I meet the minimum specs, even if they're on the low end. It's also odd that the game ran before July--I wonder if it's just growing incompatibility with older machines? 

In any case, here's the lastexception file (for some reason it won't attach, so I'll paste below. Thank you for having a look!

edit: okay, so AS I posted this I tried one more time to open the game and it started for the first time in months. Weirdly, it's running super fast. I have no idea what changed.... I am not positive it'll happen again, but really odd!

the file:

<?xml version="1.0" ?><root>
<report><version>2</version><sessionid>4394d3a9456301265d06d189</sessionid><type>desync</type><sku>ea.maxis.sims4.15.mac</sku><createtime>2019-06-16 22:30:35</createtime><buildsignature>Local.Unknown.Unknown.1.51.77.1220-1.200.000.389.Release</buildsignature><categoryid>__init__.py:457</categoryid><desyncid>4394d3a9456301265d06d189</desyncid><systemconfig/><screenshot/><desyncdata>Exception in Sim Timeline: Exception running Element (AttributeError: type object 'ComponentContainer' has no attribute 'set_last_user_directed_action_time')&#13;&#10;Traceback (most recent call last):&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\scheduling.py", line 212, in simulate&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\elements.py", line 335, in _run&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\social\social_super_interaction.py", line 1631, in do_pre_run_behavior&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\super_interaction.py", line 4488, in cancel&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\super_interaction.py", line 4255, in _cancel_eventually&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\social\social_super_interaction.py", line 1549, in _cancel&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\social\social_super_interaction.py", line 1602, in _detach_from_group&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\socials\group.py", line 818, in detach&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\socials\group.py", line 1042, in _remove&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\socials\group.py", line 1056, in shutdown&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\socials\group.py", line 964, in remove&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\super_interaction.py", line 4488, in cancel&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\super_interaction.py", line 4255, in _cancel_eventually&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\social\social_super_interaction.py", line 1548, in _cancel&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\super_interaction.py", line 4420, in _cancel&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\super_interaction.py", line 4594, in _update_autonomy_timer_on_cancel&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\interaction.py", line 7115, in _update_autonomy_timer&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\objects\components\__init__.py", line 457, in exported_func&#13;&#10;AttributeError: type object 'ComponentContainer' has no attribute 'set_last_user_directed_action_time'&#13;&#10;rtim=0</desyncdata></report>
<report><version>2</version><sessionid>4394d3a9456301265d06d189</sessionid><type>desync</type><sku>ea.maxis.sims4.15.mac</sku><createtime>2019-06-16 23:01:28</createtime><buildsignature>Local.Unknown.Unknown.1.51.77.1220-1.200.000.389.Release</buildsignature><categoryid>posture.py:1971</categoryid><desyncid>4394d3a9456301265d06d189</desyncid><systemconfig/><screenshot/><desyncdata>Exception in Sim Timeline: Exception running Element (RuntimeError: Posture Exit(posture_CarryNothing:4068) called multiple times without a paired entry. Sim: )&#13;&#10;Traceback (most recent call last):&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\scheduling.py", line 212, in simulate&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\elements.py", line 376, in _run&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\postures\posture.py", line 1983, in _do_end&#13;&#10; File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\postures\posture.py", line 1971, in get_end&#13;&#10;RuntimeError: Posture Exit(posture_CarryNothing:4068) called multiple times without a paired entry. Sim: &#13;&#10;rtim=0</desyncdata></report>
</root>

Message 3 of 10 (1,990 Views)

@wildflowermural

Thanks. Did you try the new user account?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 4 of 10 (1,938 Views)

★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora Hi, sorry, that's what I meant by "new profile." Same issues.
Message 5 of 10 (1,906 Views)

★★ Guide
@wildflowermural The crash file you posted is pretty dated. Is there anything fresher? What version of The Sims 4 client are you using? You can get the version from the Default.ini file if you're unable to get to the main menu.
Message 6 of 10 (1,898 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@dzm06 

Hi, thanks for having a look. I posted the "lastexception" file because the previous poster asked for it specifically after I posted a screenshot of my Sims 4 folder. I wasn't sure where that file came from originally or even what it was! Unfortunately I haven't saved other crash reports, though I could get one next time I experience the issue.

Weirdly, no Default.ini file exists in my Sims 4 documents folder -- I looked in each folders and ran a search of my full computer as well. I .ini files I have are Events, Options, and User Setting. I did a full game update on November 5, if that helps at all.

Message 7 of 10 (1,859 Views)

★★ Guide
@wildflowermural No worries. IN the Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/ folder you should find a Config.log file. There's all kinds of awesome stuff in it. At the very top is information about the game applications itself including the version. Below that is a lot of handy information about your computer (model number, OS version, etc). Can you share this stuff?
Message 8 of 10 (1,848 Views)

★★ Novice
@dzm06 Alright, I'm running version 1.56.55.1220 of the Sims. Looks like this is the 10/23/19 update.

As for computer information, I posted my OS version (Mojave v 10.14.5) and such above in my original post -- is there something else you need specifically?

Thanks again for your help!
Message 9 of 10 (1,838 Views)

★★ Guide
@wildflowermural The only reason I ask for that info from this file is that it can be informative about what the game has detected your configuration to be. If it deviates from what you're seeing else then that can point to a problem.
Message 10 of 10 (1,827 Views)