Sims 4 does not launch from Origin.

Here is what I have already tried in order of how I tried them:

-updated game

-repaired game

-ran reports and deleted any corrupt mod files

-moved sims 4 folder to desktop

-made sure origin wasn't running in background

-Deleted all mods

-Deleted the content of the recommended cache folders (not the folders themselves)

-Uninstalled all sims 4 content and reinstalled it.

-I do not have catalina, my mac runs "High sierra"

At this point, I have completely lost years worth of work and gameplay 5 times in the years I have owned the sims, and I'm totally at a loss. I can't even begin to express my frustration (not to mention the money I've spent and lost and doesn't seem like I will be able to get a refund) Any new suggestions would be helpful, I am not a computer expert, but  since EA games gives you no help I read a lot of great blogs and forums with people who had suggestions and I followed them all.

Message 1 of 16 (35,993 Views)

Re: Sims 4 does not launch from Origin.

@heytherehil

Origin must be running in the background for the game to run. Try the Origin reset tool - https://help.ea.com/en-gb/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 16 (35,985 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey there!

Thanks for your prompt response (I have read many of your posts and your fixes have helped me a ton in the past!!)

Unfortunately I followed those steps and it is still not launching. I know that someone once said you have to be logged in as administrator? That may be the issue but I do not know how to check that.

Message 3 of 16 (35,982 Views)

@heytherehil

Standard smile

After running the reset tool did you get the confirmation popup that preference and cache files had been deleted?

Running as administrator only applies to Windows.

When you say it won't launch what exactly is happening? Is the game bouncing in the Dock then disappearing? Is it part launching then disappearing?

Have you tried launching it in a new user account on your Mac?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 16 (35,970 Views)

★★ Novice

Yes I did get the confirmation pop up. (Duly noted about the administrator piece, thank you!)

What happens is I press the orange "play"button, the origin launcher disappears and the loading rainbow turns just like it would if the game begin to launch, and then the origin launcher window reappears with the "play" button as if nothing happened.

I have not tried launching it in a new user account. Does that mean making a totally new origin account?

Thank you, even though it's not working I feel like I'm actually progressing and taking steps here!!

Message 5 of 16 (35,968 Views)

@heytherehil

Hopefully we can figure it out Standard smile

You will be able to access Origin and login using your current account details. Once logged in press play in Origin to try and launch the game. Even though the game is probably installed in your normal user account Applications folder (unless you have changed the default location), Origin installs by default to the Macintosh HD/Applications folder (again, unless you changed this) and can still see and run the game in the new user account.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 16 (35,945 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi

We have tried the reset tool, removed origin app, and re-installed again.. But still only a white app starting. Not able to ad credentials or anything.  I´m stuck trying. Any more suggestions?

Running Catalina

Everything have worked fine before.

Message 7 of 16 (35,890 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi there, sorry for the delay.

I am unclear about creating a new user account. It did not let me use my credentials because they are part of the other account.

Anyway, the problem is still there, I haven't been able to play my game in weeks and EA has not responded to my request for a refund.

Message 8 of 16 (35,799 Views)

@heytherehil

Are you referring to your Origin login details when you say credentials? What do you meant by part of the other account? You can login to Origin on any machine, under any account, with your Origin account details.

Try manually resetting Origin - https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-uninstall-origin-on-a-mac/

Maybe reset it, uninstall it and install it again making sure it is installed to the Macintosh HD/Applications folder and not Macintosh HD/Users/YourUserName/Applications

Did you try the super repair here - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 16 (35,794 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi sorry for the delay (I work full time so I have been trying to fix this when  I can here and there)

I wanted to update the list of things I have tried:

Steps to try: (Everything on this list that you posted)

1. Move your Sims 4 folder out onto your desktop and let the game generate a new one (if you have created a symlink to store your Sims 4 folder on an external drive do not move the folder but rename it instead). You can find the folder in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4. If your game then works ok the problem was in your user data (most causes for this are incompatible or conflicting CC/Mods). Now you have a nice, new, clean user data folder you can try adding your old data back into the game gradually, testing after each addition. For example, copy your saves from your old The Sims 4 folder into the new one. If your game once again doesn't perform properly then you know that there is a problem somewhere in your saves, one or more may be corrupted. 
    2. Try repairing your game. Open Origin, click on your games library, right click on The Sims 4 and select Repair Game.
    3. If you have Origin open but your game won't load, quit Origin then try launching the game again from the Sims 4 icon in your Applications folder.
    4. Log out of and quit Origin. Restart your Mac then open and log back in to Origin.
    5. Disable Origin in Game. Open Origin, navigate to the The Sims 4 in My Games, right click on the game and select Game Properties. Make sure Disable Origin in Game for this game is ticked. 

Everything on this list:

Steps to try:

1. In your Applications folder right click on the Sims 4 app and select Show Package Contents.
      2. Navigate to Contents > Mac OS.
      3. Right click on The Sims 4 and select Move to Trash. Don't drag the file as it will only move an alias and leave the original in place.
      4. Now open Origin, right click on The Sims 4 in your Games Library and click Repair Game.

I have also manually reset Origin following your guide and checked to make sure it is in the appropriate applications folder.

The only thing I haven't tried is the super repair and the origin log in thing, only because I don't understand what you mean by that. Could you please explain it again?

Message 10 of 16 (35,708 Views)