Re: Sims 4 crashing

by Samaelsmith1

Original Post

Sims 4 crashing

★★★ Novice

The Sims 4 on my imac running Mojave frequently crashes after the loading screen and at the main menu.  This is new behaviour and it isn't consistent I'm afraid.  The game seems to work as long as there is no custom content.  It will often crash if I put in CC in the mods folder, it will also often crash if the mods folder is empty but there is content in the tray or the saves folder.  I've tried repairing the game, deleting and reinstalling the game, reinstalling Origin, resetting Origin, logging out, and rebooting.  Unfortunately the 50/50 method of weeding out bad CC doesn't work very well because of the inconsistency.  I would test some CC, the game would be fine.  Try to play later without changing anything and it would crash.

Message 1 of 10 (1,015 Views)

@Samaelsmith1 

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so and what to provide here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

Could you move out your Mods folder, delete the localthumbcache.package file then load up your game and play for a while to see how it is?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 10 (984 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for the response Bluebellflora.  I'm running Mojave version 10.14.4 on an iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, 2017.  The processor is 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7, memory is 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 and the graphics card is a Radeon Pro 580 8 GB.  I'll try deleting the cache file and loading the game a few times and get back to you.

Message 3 of 10 (980 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I tried what you suggested , moving the mods folder and deleting the localthumbcache.package but the game crashed on the first try.

Message 4 of 10 (965 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Samaelsmith1

Ok. Could you please move the whole Sims 4 folder to the desktop then see if you can launch the game?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 10 (951 Views)

★★★ Novice

So I tried that and there was no crashing.  I launched the game multiple times and it worked fine.  So obviously some custom content is not playing nice but I really don't want to lose so much CC or my saves.  How can I find the offending files considering that the game only crashes some times but not others?

Message 6 of 10 (924 Views)

@Samaelsmith1

You tested without CC and it still crashed didn't you? In which case your save(s) are corrupted. Here's a link to restoring a previous save - https://help.ea.com/en-gb/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/how-to-restore-a-previous-saved-game-in-the-sims-...

If you have a backup you could also try loading a previously backed up save.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 10 (898 Views)

★★★ Novice

So I took out the saves folder but it still crashed.  It seems to be fine if I just leave the tray folder in but when I put either the mods folder or the saves folder back it will crash.

Message 8 of 10 (890 Views)

@Samaelsmith1

Yes, because you seem to have a corrupted save and CC. Please see if you can restore a previous save. If not then you will have to start from scratch again.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 10 (875 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for your help.  I'm going through all the CC right now but considering I've got thousands to go through and they have to be tested multiple times to be sure, this will take a while.

Message 10 of 10 (845 Views)