Re: Sims 4 crashing on Mac

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Sims 4 crashing on Mac

★ Novice

Hi--I've been having issues with my Sims 4 for several months. The game runs for about two minutes and then the time freezes and I can't click anything, and I get an error saying "system has run out of application memory." I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, repairing the game, and updating the game but nothing seems to work.

As an FYI I recently got a new computer and was having this issue on both my old and new machine.

Message 1 of 8 (673 Views)

@abigailsnathan 

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so and what to provide here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

When this happens how much memory is available on your Mac? You can see this in Activity Monitor  - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/activity-monitor/welcome/mac

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 8 (650 Views)

★ Novice

I have a Macbook Air (M1; 2020). The chip is an Apple M1, 8 GB of memory, Macintosh HD startup disk. I'm currently running Big Sur, version 11.1.

Attaching a screenshot from my Activity Monitor so that you can take a look. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 4.31.37 PM.png

Message 3 of 8 (598 Views)

@abigailsnathan

Is that picture of Activity Monitor taken when you get the out of memory error? Strange because it's showing enough RAM available. How much free storage space do you have on the internal drive? If there isn't much that may explain it. This is a good Apple article explaining memory - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/activity-monitor/actmntr1004/mac

When this happens how much RAM is the game showing as used in Activity Monitor? Make sure you have columns showing Memory, Real Memory, Purgeable Memory and Compressed Memory. You can add these by right clicking on the header bar and selecting them. You can also rearrange the columns.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 8 (574 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you in advance for your help! I have a ton of storage available on the internal drive, about 404GB of my 500GB.

Attaching an updated photo of Activity Monitor will all of those columns showing. It's strange because I've had this issue now with two computers, could it be a problem with Origin instead of my operating system?

Message 5 of 8 (475 Views)

@abigailsnathan

Thanks. 50GB is NOT normal. You seem to have the Father Winter bug that was introduced in the November (I think) patch. Crin has a great article here explaining it. You may need to use a Mod to clear it from your existing save if you don't have a previous save https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2020/11/father-winter-doesnt-appear-at-winterfest-endless-generation-...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 8 (460 Views)

★ Novice

Does repairing the game not fix this?

Message 7 of 8 (449 Views)

@abigailsnathan

You can try but as you can see in Crin's post, the issue has very specific problems and you are experiencing all of them.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 8 (438 Views)