Re: Sims 4 crashing on Mac

by michellemarie01

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 crashing on Mac

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I downloaded Sims 4 on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) about a week ago. I played on it just fine for 2 days and now it crashes every time I open it. At first, I could at least get to the main menu before it would freeze and I would have to manually turn off my computer because I couldn't even exit the game. Now, I don't even get to the loading plumbob before it starts freezes and starts trying to close out of the window on its own but fails so it just starts making my screen going crazy. I did uninstall the game and install it again and I was only able to play it once. When I loaded the game later, I had the same issue again. I don't think it's the specs of my computer that are the issue because I played it several times without any issues but I don't know a whole lot about specs so I could be wrong. Any suggestions that I can get are highly appreciated because I did not pay $40 for a game to just crash my computer! 

Message 1 of 63 (103,778 Views)

Accepted Solution

Champion

Try this:

- Make sure you are in Finder then click Go in the menu bar. Hold down Alt and the hidden Library folder will show up. Click on the Library folder.
- You now need to check in the following folders for any Origin files and folders:

• Application Support (Origin)
  • Caches (Origin, com.ea.Origin)
  • Preferences (com.ea.Origin.plist)
  • Saved Application state (com.ea.Origin.savedState)

Open a Finder window and click on your Macintosh HD in the left hand section under Devices (if it's not there click on Finder in the menu bar then Preferences. Select the Sidebar tab and make sure Hard Disks is ticked under Devices), open Library, then delete the Origin folder.

After you've trashed them, empty the trash then restart your Mac. Then redownload and reinstall Origin.

Try this before uninstalling Sims 4.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

View in thread

Message 7 of 63 (115,969 Views)

All Replies

★ Novice

That's exactly what happens on mine! If you know how to fix it let me know please!

@michellemarie01 wrote:

I downloaded Sims 4 on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) about a week ago. I played on it just fine for 2 days and now it crashes every time I open it. At first, I could at least get to the main menu before it would freeze and I would have to manually turn off my computer because I couldn't even exit the game. Now, I don't even get to the loading plumbob before it starts freezes and starts trying to close out of the window on its own but fails so it just starts making my screen going crazy. I did uninstall the game and install it again and I was only able to play it once. When I loaded the game later, I had the same issue again. I don't think it's the specs of my computer that are the issue because I played it several times without any issues but I don't know a whole lot about specs so I could be wrong. Any suggestions that I can get are highly appreciated because I did not pay $40 for a game to just crash my computer! 

Message 2 of 63 (103,518 Views)

Champion

Have you added any mods or CC to your game? If so, remove them and see if the game starts up. It could be the CC and mods causing your game to crash.

Message 3 of 63 (103,509 Views)

★★ Novice

I don't have any mods but some of the stuff that I got from the gallery could have CC. How do I remove them without having to launch the game?

Message 4 of 63 (103,502 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same problem. Bought £49 worth from the origin website, managed to play once and now it won't let me back on - gutted!! I haven't added any mods or anything, slightly confused. Please can someone help asap?

Message 5 of 63 (103,500 Views)

Champion

Go to Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4. Remove the Tray folder and the Mods folder to your Desktop. The game should reintegrate new ones. See if that allows you to restart and play.

Message 6 of 63 (103,495 Views)

Champion

Try this:

- Make sure you are in Finder then click Go in the menu bar. Hold down Alt and the hidden Library folder will show up. Click on the Library folder.
- You now need to check in the following folders for any Origin files and folders:

• Application Support (Origin)
  • Caches (Origin, com.ea.Origin)
  • Preferences (com.ea.Origin.plist)
  • Saved Application state (com.ea.Origin.savedState)

Open a Finder window and click on your Macintosh HD in the left hand section under Devices (if it's not there click on Finder in the menu bar then Preferences. Select the Sidebar tab and make sure Hard Disks is ticked under Devices), open Library, then delete the Origin folder.

After you've trashed them, empty the trash then restart your Mac. Then redownload and reinstall Origin.

Try this before uninstalling Sims 4.

Message 7 of 63 (115,970 Views)

★★ Novice

It seems like that worked perfectly! Thank you!

Message 8 of 63 (103,480 Views)

★ Novice

I have the same issue but i deleted the files that you listed like origin.ea , and cache and stuff. so now i can't find origin when i look into macintosh HD file. can you please help me fix this?

Message 9 of 63 (103,264 Views)

★ Novice

i don't have origin folder under macintosh HD. is something wrong? I don't know where i went wrong in the process.

Message 10 of 63 (103,259 Views)