Sims 4 crashing my computer

by JustaLittleRando

Original Post

Sims 4 crashing my computer

★ Novice

Ever since I updated my game earlier in November I have not been able to launch it.

I click on the play button and it gets ready to launch, but then the screen splits to be half my desktop and half a black screen and then it just freezes. I always end up having to force a shutdown which is obviously not good for the computer.

There was another update today which I tried but it didn't help.

I have checked my computer specifications and I'm almost positive that I shouldn't have to download the Legacy Edition in order to play, especially since I'm not getting the error message that most people get when they have to download Legacy. All I'm getting is a frozen computer.

Is this issue happening to anyone else and does anyone know how to fix it?

Message 1 of 5 (917 Views)

Re: Sims 4 crashing my computer

@JustaLittleRando

Which version of macOS are you running? What happens if you trash the Options.ini file in the Sims 4 folder then relaunch the game?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 5 (872 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

My game was working fine until today, when I tried to launch it the icon bounced in the dock and then nothing happened.

I tried opening from Origin, and the game froze on the spinning plumbob screen. It froze my entire computer, I couldn't even force quit it and had to do a force shut down.

I tried everything, even backed up my saves, deleted The Sims 4 folder, and uninstalled and reinstalled both Sims 4 and Origin. Nothing worked Frown

I didn't get the error message to download Legacy either, but I downloaded it anyway. My computer can support the new macOS but I haven't updated the software cause I don't want it to slow down my 2014 Macbook Air.

Have contacted EA but have not heard back yet.

If anyone has a solution please let me know!

Message 3 of 5 (860 Views)

★★ Novice

Ok so I updated to Mojave.

It let me play for about 5 minutes, and during my game it crashed and my iMac rebooted.

When it booted back up - Origin seemed to change.

Now when I launch Origin, it gives me this weird zoomed view and I cannot enter anything.

I tried the origin reset tool/removed all files and re-downloaded. Same thing.

When I try launching my game outside of Origin, I get an error that I have to download legacy.

This is so crazzzzzy ahhhhh.

Anyone else seeing the weird Origin zoomed view?

Message 4 of 5 (666 Views)

@izzivacant

Could you reset the NVRAM/PRAM on your Mac, that may help - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 5 of 5 (628 Views)