Sims 4 and the New 2018 MacBook Air?

by sarahfelldown

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 and the New 2018 MacBook Air?

★ Apprentice

Curious if someone could help me... I don't know enough about graphics cards (or even the processors) to figure out if I can successfully run the Sims 4 on one of the new MacBook Air laptops that were announced earlier this week. I know the memory and HD space are sufficient, but I'm not sure about graphics and processor. Can someone help me figure out if it'd run (and if it'd run well) on the new MacBook Air?

MacBook Air Base Specs:

- 1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel i5 Processor

- 128 GB SSD storage

- 8GB memory (i'd probably upgrade this to 16)

- Intel UHD Graphics 617

Message 1 of 7 (16,336 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 and the New 2018 MacBook Air?

@sarahfelldown

It will probably run it although how well is debatable.

The new MacBook Airs have dual core, low end processors and underpowered integrated graphics. They are not designed for gaming but portability. You may find you can play well but the more packs you add the slower your game will become and you will have to lower your graphics settings in order to get smoother gameplay.

The new MacBook Airs do support Thunderbolt 3 enabled external graphics cards. However they are still several hundred £/$ and won't help with the heat that the dual core processor will produce as it struggles to render and process the game.

If you want to game on a Mac laptop you need to get a high end 15" MacBook Pro with dedicated AMD graphics. Another option would be the Touch Bar 13" MacBook Pro with quad core processors, although they still only have integrated graphics.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 2 of 7 (16,321 Views)

All Replies

@sarahfelldown

It will probably run it although how well is debatable.

The new MacBook Airs have dual core, low end processors and underpowered integrated graphics. They are not designed for gaming but portability. You may find you can play well but the more packs you add the slower your game will become and you will have to lower your graphics settings in order to get smoother gameplay.

The new MacBook Airs do support Thunderbolt 3 enabled external graphics cards. However they are still several hundred £/$ and won't help with the heat that the dual core processor will produce as it struggles to render and process the game.

If you want to game on a Mac laptop you need to get a high end 15" MacBook Pro with dedicated AMD graphics. Another option would be the Touch Bar 13" MacBook Pro with quad core processors, although they still only have integrated graphics.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 7 (16,322 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Sims 4 works surprisingly well on my new Macbook Air 2018. I think the game looks good when I turn off retina resolution, choose a little bit lower resolution and select other graphical options to "high".
Message 3 of 7 (16,136 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've just bought a new 2018 Macbook Air - I'm debating getting Sims 4 just because I miss it!

How did you change the graphic settings so it worked? Also I know it's a couple of months on....are you still getting on ok with it? I have toyed with the idea of a cheap Windows laptop with the right spec just to play Sims 4! Thanks Standard smile

Message 4 of 7 (14,965 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi, 
how many expansions do you have, I want to buy a new macbook air, but I really want to run my sims 4.

Message 5 of 7 (8,933 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Can you tell me how you did it? I’ve tried downloading it on origin and steam and it doesn’t work

Message 6 of 7 (1,653 Views)

Locking this thread as it's for a now-outdated model Mac.

@potatocake55

Please start your own thread detailing the exact issue you are having and the model Mac you are on including operating system. If you are on a Windows PC please post in the PC forum - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/The-Sims-4

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 7 (1,633 Views)