Re: Sims 4 Wont Open After Catalina Update

by iimlana

Original Post

Sims 4 Wont Open After Catalina Update

★★★★★ Apprentice

Hello! I updated my iMac to Catalina around the time it came out and during the end of October I went to go play, (it was my first time playing since updating to Catalina), and when I clicked play the game wouldn't load up. The game icon would do it's little bouncing thing in the dock area and that's it, so I decided to go force quit it. In my force quit menu it shows the game was running though (with no not responding next to it), so when I quit the game and tried playing again it would do the same thing. When I force quit both Origin and The Sims 4 it caused my computer to be extremely slow and would cause everything to say "not responding", even if I was just go into my computer settings. I tried turning off and on my computer, which was both extremely slow for some reason. During the times I turned my computer back on I tried loading up the game and it would do the same thing, say its running but not actually popping up the games screen and then my computer would be extremely slow. Also note my computer would not be slow if I didn't try loading up the game, so The Sims caused my computer to just be slow. 

So after that I gave up and just assumed my computer was old and couldn't properly run it anymore. My friend then told me to delete my origin files and my sims files and uninstall everything and just start fresh because there could be a corrupt file. So after a while I finally did that yesterday. I went in and deleted all the files for origin and The Sims and uninstalled it as if it was brand new on my computer. After I reinstalled origin and redownloaded The Sims I loaded up the game and it worked perfectly fine. I even tried it a second time the same day and it worked. 

Today however I went to load up the game and its doing the same thing it did before. This time I couldn't even force quit the game because it wouldn't let me click on it in the force quit menu. So I honestly don't know what to do since reinstalling didn't work. I don't know if my computer could have a corrupt file on it. It worked fine before updating to Catalina, so Im not sure if that's the issue or not.

My specs :

macOS Catalina

Version 10.15.1

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

Processor 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I use both script mods and custom content, but with all tries of loading up the game I didn't have it in my Sims folder.

I have all currently out packs as of November 12th, 2019 (minus the Realm of Magic pack).

Message 1 of 14 (1,878 Views)

★★ Guide
@iimlana You covered a lot of background there. I'm not positive I understand what you're seeing now, today. I think you're saying that the game launches but that the computer becomes very slow and unresponsive when you do so. Are you launching the game in full screen mode or in windowed mode? Can you try launching the Activity Monitor (it's in your Utilities folder) before you start The Sims 4? Once The Sims 4 launches, quickly switch to Activity Monitor and see if The Sims 4 is the process using all of your CPU. If it's responsive enough, please switch to the "Memory" tab and check the summary at the bottom. Does the "Memory Pressure" graph look OK (is it green)? What about the numbers to the right (physical memory, memory used, swap used, etc)?
Message 2 of 14 (1,811 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@dzm06 When I click play in Origin it says that it’s running in the background, but it’s not actually coming up on my screen. So I can’t even load up the game and play it.
When I go to force quit the game that’s when it causes my whole computer to become really slow. Then
Message 3 of 14 (1,787 Views)

★★ Guide
@iimlana I can't speak to the slowdown part, but have you granted Origin and The Sims 4 the file access they need? (Go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy, scroll down until you find Full Disk Access and verify the Origin client has a check next to it. Scroll down a touch more to Fildes and Folders and make sure The Sims 4 has a check next to "Documents Folder")
Message 4 of 14 (1,785 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@dzm06 I put a check next to origin in the Full Disk Access area, but in the Files and Folders it doesn't show The Sims 4, it only has Origin and underneath of it, it says Full Disk Access.Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 5.44.22 PM.png

Message 5 of 14 (1,774 Views)

★★ Guide
@iimlana It's difficult to make out in the screen shot, but I don't think there's a check-mark next to "Full disk access." Click the padlock to unlock it, then check the box next to "Full disk access" under Origin, then restart the Origin client.

After THAT, install the latest release of The Sims 4. The first time you launch it you should be prompted to give permission for it to access the Documents directory. Grant this request since this is where The Sims 4 stores the game saves, preferences, etc.
Message 6 of 14 (1,757 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@dzm06 In the folder called Full Disk Access there was a box to check for origin. I checked it off.
Then in the folder Files and Folders you said to check the box for the sims 4. The screenshot is showing you that the sims 4 isn’t there, only Origin.
Do I have to uninstall and reinstall the sims 4? Because the game I have is already on the latest release.
Also note yesterday after I reinstalled origin and the sims 4, the game loaded up fine twice. But today is when it started to mess up again.
Message 7 of 14 (1,749 Views)

★★ Guide

@iimlana Ahh. You're right. I hadn't noticed you had selected "Files and Folders." None the less, I don't see a check-mark next to Origin. Can you confirm it has this permission? For reference, here's what mine looks like (keep in mind mine has extra options 'cause I've been plahying around with storing the games and game data in alternate locations).

Message 8 of 14 (1,746 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@dzm06 In the “Files and Folders“ folder there’s no box for me to check for Origin. There’s only a box in “Full Disk Access” to check.
Message 9 of 14 (1,736 Views)

★★ Guide
@iimlana I suspect we're talking about the same thing. Wherever you find that "Full disk access" new Origin, please check it. Then install (or repair) The Sims 4 again.
Message 10 of 14 (1,734 Views)