Sims 4 Mac 64 Bit Update - Can't Install Sims3Packs

by JustCallMeNerdy

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 Mac 64 Bit Update - Can't Install Sims3Packs

★ Guide

I have the 64 Bit Update up and running but the one thing I can't do is get my Sims3Pack custom content to install into my game. I've tried using the launcher to do it and when I try to just click on the files like how I used to install them, it says that The Sims 3 is unable to open that type of file. When they do go in, it comes up with a critical failure error

Message 1 of 72 (4,129 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 Mac 64 Bit Update - Can't Install Sims3Packs

[ Edited ]

Edit:  Please see this post for help troubleshooting issues with installing store or custom content:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Problems-installing-Sims3Packs-TS3-64-bit/m-p/9665254...

@JustCallMeNerdy  I successfully installed both items you linked me in the PM, so the items themselves aren't the issue.  When you download the items, do you choose to "Open" or "Save"?  I chose to save, manually moved the downloads to Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Downloads, and opened the launcher to install them.  If you haven't tried this, please do now.  And if clicking Install doesn't work, close the launcher and open it again.

If that's not the issue, pease open a Finder window, hold down the optn(alt) key, click Go at the top of your screen, then select Library.  From there, open Application Support > Origin, and see whether you have a folder inside labeled Installer Data.  If you do, please open it, take a screenshot of its contents, and attach it to a post.

If you don't have the folder, create one; be sure to get the name and case exactly right.  If you have one, trash it and make a new one.  Then try to install a new download of one item, and let me know whether it works.  It may help to install a Store item first, although I'm not sure.

@LillyDoe  Please try the same steps I've listed above.

@Serenoz99  Please try closing the launcher and opening it again, and if that doesn't help, quitting Origin, opening it, and opening the launcher from there again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 18 of 72 (5,107 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice
@JustCallMeNerdy Thanks for this!! So glad it’s not just me with this problem!
Message 2 of 72 (4,100 Views)

@JustCallMeNerdy  It would be great to get a screenshot or two, if you can manage.  Hit cmd-shift-4 and drag your cursor over the section of screen you want to capture.  The screenshot will land on your desktop; you can attach it to or embed it within a post here.

Where are these Sims3Packs from?  If they're from the Store or Exchange, feel free to link some here so we can test, and please let me know whether you've downloaded them fresh or are transferring them from another install.  If they're from another site, they can't be linked here, but feel free to send me a private message with some links.

Message 3 of 72 (4,073 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thanks for this. It’s a fresh install and I’ll send you a message now with some of them in as examples. Tried quite a few though from different places and it seems to be .sims3pack files that are the problem. The .package ones install automatically for me.
Message 4 of 72 (4,061 Views)

★ Guide

Additional screenshots, they are packs from my downloads folder from before this update, all Sims3Pack files. Most if not all of them are worlds and custom hair colors. I haven't opened CAS yet but my mod scripts found alert pops up when the game loads so I'm assuming that those are working fine.

Worst part is that there's no way to convert them and merge them and turn them into packages on Mac which I believe was a thing on Windows, like there were programs designed to do that? I vividly remember bringing my hard drive to a friends house so I could merge my CC lol 

The files in Finder come up as sheets of paper like regular documents do, I thought before that they came up with a plumbob but I could be wrong. I haven't tried downloading CC from outside of my saved folder yet and installing that.

Message 5 of 72 (4,040 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I feel like I might've had this problem in the past? Confirmed that my package CC is in CAS, I'm going to try getting rid of my The Sims 3 folder, save my mods and not put them back in, and then installing. For some reason having to do that feels familliar

Edit: I felt like I was really onto something but nope

Message 6 of 72 (4,019 Views)

★★★★ Novice

It might be me being dense, but once I have the file - I move it into the packages folder within the mods folder. Then I try to open it with the sims 3? See none of my installed content .package files appear in the downloads area like yours do, but they are in the game?

Message 7 of 72 (4,009 Views)

★ Guide
@laurenamanda16 Packages won't show up in the downloads area as far as I know, they just appear in the game
Message 8 of 72 (3,998 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Okay great so that’s one of my mysteries solved! Hopefully we can get an answer on the .sims3pack files as mine just error and don’t even make it to the sims 3 launcher.

thanks again for your help.

Message 9 of 72 (3,990 Views)

@laurenamanda16  Great, I'll test a few and get back to you in a bit.

@JustCallMeNerdy  I had trouble installing store content transferred from my old Sims 3 folder, but when I downloaded new copies of the Store and Exchange content, they installed fine.  It also helps to install just a few at a time—the launcher was always fragile, and there are no indications that that's changed.

You're right that Delphy's Multi-Extractor only works in Windows, but there is apparently a way to get .package files from .Sims3Packs.  It doesn't work for worlds, just other custom content that could also exist as .package files.  I haven't tried this myself, I'm just going off the reports of others, so take it with a grain of salt.

When you install a .Sims3Pack, you probably know that you get one or more corresponding .package files in DCBackup as well.  These files can be placed in Mods/Packages and will (should?) work just like .package-based cc.  The files will be cryptically named, but you can rename them to whatever you want, as long as you keep the .package extension.

The plumbob icon next to a file name means that your system has a default program associated with that file type, so if you double-click on the file, that program will be used to open it.  These file associations can break if the underlying program is removed or no longer runs on the system.

It's also possible that your files have broken, but it's not clear from your screenshots that that's the case.  I'd still download a couple .Sims3Packs fresh, just to see whether it makes a difference; I believe Mayfield Springs is available somewhere.

Message 10 of 72 (3,988 Views)