Re: Sims 4 Lags after adding new expansion

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Sims 4 Lags after adding new expansion

★★★ Newbie

I've been trying to figure this out for a few weeks, but to no avail. 

At the most recent game sale (I believe it was in May/June) I bought Cats and Dogs expansion, and the my first pet stuff. Up until then, the game had been running fairly fine (city living and jungle adventure, along with the free holiday stuff download). I had downloaded some houses from the library, but aside from missing items from expansions I didn't have, they worked fine. Now, the game will not stop lagging. I also just updated my OS right before this, and the computer has been running a little slow overall, but that's normal at this point. I was having some problems with origin starting up (it is downloaded from there, I have no disc), but that seems to have been rectified by uninstalling and removing all of the origin files, then reinstalling them. The latest patch has also been installed as of this point. I also quit every program running when the sims is running, since it will slow things on a normal day. 

System Specs:

Macbook Pro (mid-2012)

Processor 2.3 GHz INtel Core i7

Memory 4GB 1600 MHZ DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Things I have done so far:

Backed up my Saves, options, Mods, and tray folder, then deleted the rest of the sims folder. Restarted the game, added in the backed up folders. 

Backed up sims 4 folder, then renamed the one in-game as a backup and started the game brand new. Started a new game and absolutely no change. 

Turned off origin In-game.

Made sure sims game options had laptop setting checked, and windowed gameplay instead of fullscreen. No change. 

Reparied game through origin (maybe I should do it again?)

The only thing I haven't done is uninstall and reinstall, but another thread I was reading said re-naming the save folder essentially does that, and to post to the forums if it continues. I have no CC or Mods downloaded. Any CC I have is simply lot files from the game library. But even with these out of the game, it still lags. I originally bought the sims 4 this year because my sims 3 wouldn't load or install anymore. 

Thanks for the help! 

Message 1 of 2 (362 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Lags after adding new expansion

[ Edited ]

@laurelwoodsong

Could you update two the latest version of Mojave, 10.14.5.

Your Mac is struggling as you add more demanding packs to your game. Upgrading your Mac to at least 8Gb RAM will help (it can go to 16Gb). You could also manually update the NVIDIA driver which will help, I did it myself on my similar model 2012 MBP. It's not normal practice on a Mac but it does help. I wrote a guide here on how to do it - http://bluebellflora.com/manually-update-nvidia-geforce-graphics-drivers-in-os-x/ Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 2 (324 Views)