Sims 4- I have a 64bit computer however.....

by DalShic

Original Post

Sims 4- I have a 64bit computer however.....

★★ Novice

Hello all I hope someone can give me some guidance for my non tech savvy self.

I just downloaded Sims 4 Discover University ...annnndd it doesn't show up. 

I DO have a 64 bit computer. ( is metal ) However it is on the older side. 

I was still forced to download legacy and I am aware (now) you cannot play sims 4 Discover Uni with that.

But what I don't understand is that if my computer is capable...why is this happening?

I tried to follow what someone had said about "forcing" origin to run in 64bit...however what they suggested wasn't appearing.

I am assuming it is my operating system- I know nothing about computers so this may be a dumb question- can that be changed? or am i out of luck with a 64 bit metal Mac with a low operating system?

I thank anyone in advance.

Alsssoooo. Just wondering. If i got a new computer in the future and I use my Orgin ID on it... will my Sims 4 all be there still or will I need to buy it all again?

Thannnnkkkkksss

sorry if any of this sounds dumb

Message 1 of 5 (300 Views)

Re: Sims 4- I have a 64bit computer however.....

@DalShic  I've moved your post to the Sims 4 Mac section. Please list the full specs of your Mac, as described in this post:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting...

Your games are owned by your Origin account, not your computer.  So you can download and install them for free as many times as you like, on as many computers as you like.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (277 Views)

★★ Guide
@DalShic As @puzzleaddict notes, we can't really help much if we don't know what Mac and macOS you're using. If you're confident that the GPU in your Mac support Apple's "Metal" graphics layer then you should consider upgrading macOS to at least El Capitan to provide the Metal framework The Sims 4 now must have. Once you do this you should be able to disable the "Legacy Edition" "extra" in Origin and use the standard Sims 4. That will also enable you to use the Discover University pack.
Message 3 of 5 (265 Views)

★★ Novice

Sorry for my late response! 

here are my details....

I have a Macbook Pro mid 2012

Processor - 2.5 Core i5

When i looked these implied i had 64 bit

my version is 10.10.5 OS X Yosemite - I believe this is my problem. because it said 10.8  for the University pack if i am not mistaken?

Can I fix this? Or no? if it is a simple update thing I don't know how to get that.... on my computer its says no update available or whatever.

Haha sorry I am so clueless but thank you for reaching out! I really appreciate it!

Message 4 of 5 (202 Views)

[ Edited ]

@DalShic  You're correct, Yosemite is the problem.  But OS X 10.8 isn't enough.  It was the minimum for Sims 4 for just over a month, after the game stopped working in Lion (10.7).  But now, to run the standard edition of Sims 4, you need at least El Capitan, the next OS after Yosemite.  Here are instructions on how to upgrade, with a link to the El Capitan disk image included:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

You could certainly install a later OS, although it's not strictly necessary.

Be sure to back up critical files beforehand, as is always best practice when upgrading your OS.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 5 of 5 (195 Views)