by _QueenKylaRen_

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 4 Freezing on Mac

★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? Unsure. GameVersion.TXT file is empty and can’t access game long enough to check
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Get Together, City Living, Cats and Dogs, Seasons, Get Famous, Discover University, Parenthood, Vampires, Realm of Magic, Strangerville, Tiny Living
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Open Create a sim or build mode and try to play as normal and wait 1-5 minutes
What happens when the bug occurs? Game Freezes and Laptop screen unresponsive. I have to force quit my laptop for it to do anything
What do you expect to see? A working game
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

I downloaded some CC and it was working fine for like a week. Then my game crashed twice so I removed it but the games still crashing so I deleted sims 4 and reinstalled it. I then put my saves back in but still crashes. I then delete Origin and Sims 4 and reinstall both. I was on it for about 5 minutes and it seemed ok but I didn’t have the time to test it fully, later I put my saves back in and it crashed. I removed my saves again but the game freezes and crashes after about 3 minutes on CAS.

Weirdly enough last weekend I could access build mode  for about half an hour without crashing but I didn’t want to push it.

I’ve not reinstalled any CC and I have tried repairing the game many times.

I’ve been playing on this computer for about a month and a half already so I’m a bit confused 

Message 1 of 8 (1,915 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 4 Freezing on Mac

[ Edited ]

@_QueenKylaRen_

Thanks. Have you enabled vertical sync? It's a known issue on M1 Macs https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/-WORKAROUND-game-Mac-freezes-on-Mac-with-M1-chip/m-p/...

11.2 is the current version of Big Sur, you should also update your OS in System Preferences.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 4 of 8 (1,869 Views)

All Replies

@_QueenKylaRen_ 

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so and what to provide here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

Does this happen with a new Sims 4 folder?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 8 (1,885 Views)

★★ Novice

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

Memory: 8 GB

Processor: "Apple Processor" 

Graphics: Apple M1 GPU with 8 Cores

If by new folder you mean starting  a new save file then yes, otherwise I'm not too sure what you mean

Message 3 of 8 (1,873 Views)

[ Edited ]

@_QueenKylaRen_

Thanks. Have you enabled vertical sync? It's a known issue on M1 Macs https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/-WORKAROUND-game-Mac-freezes-on-Mac-with-M1-chip/m-p/...

11.2 is the current version of Big Sur, you should also update your OS in System Preferences.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 8 (1,870 Views)

★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora Updated OS and turned off vertical Sync. It’s working really well now, thanks!
Message 5 of 8 (1,859 Views)

@_QueenKylaRen_

Great! Although can you confirm that you DISABLED vsync? Enabling it is the fix for the common freezing issue in-game. I wonder if it was the update to 11.2 that fixed it?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 8 (1,854 Views)

★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora Sorry Typo, meant enabled
Message 7 of 8 (1,830 Views)

@_QueenKylaRen_

No worries, thanks so much for coming back to clarify. It really does help others and also to narrow down potential triggers Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 8 (1,822 Views)