Re: Sims 4 Crashes/Lags on Mac since Anniversary Update Feb 2021

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

@fantasims

Can you upload them to a file sharing site like google drive or similar and PM me the link? You could upload to the gallery and mark it TEST DO NOT DOWNLOAD, or similar Standard smile

I use TOOL as well on different Macs. Updates add more to the game so maybe a tweak in the game code has resulted in your Mac now struggling more due to memory issues? It is a 9 year old machine with 9 year old GPU with 2GB RAM. As lovely as she is, she's getting on a bit now Frown

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 11 of 31 (688 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yeah she's old lol  - although when I run windows through my mac I don't have any lag issues or crashing at all and I'm using the same hardware? That's so crazy that one update can take me from building massive lots to not being able to build anything but small stuff!

Ok so I couldn’t share files from all the builds that crash my game when I try to load them because I couldn’t load them to re-save them in order to locate the files to share with you (if that made any sense lol)

BUT I’ve shared these lots:

(You will have to include custom content but Ignore the mod wrench symbol - it’s only there because I used a mod that organizes debug objects, there is no CC)

Jigsaw Challenge (it will say KateEmerald as the original creator): this one does not crash but lags really bad I can barely change anything - It worked perfectly smooth before updates

Medieval Stuff 2: this is a lot that loads perfectly fine but I’m sharing it as a comparison that it has a TON of objects crammed in it and doesn’t cause issues even though builds with less objects but that have walls/foundations/terrain are causing issues just in case the comparison is helpful

Blue Castle: this one crashes my game if I try to load it from gallery but I already had it in a save file so was able to save again. It caused no problems before Anniversary update - now I can’t touch it

I really appreciate all your help!

Message 12 of 31 (682 Views)

@fantasims

Thanks Standard smile I'll have a look over the weekend.

Yeah, the game has always run better in Windows. It's unfortunate but indicates the game is not fully optimised for macOS.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 13 of 31 (667 Views)

★ Apprentice

Ok brilliant and no rush, I'm really honored you would even take so much time to try and help me!

That is good to know that it is not very optimized for Mac OS - it makes sense because when I play it on windows hardly any CPU/RAM is used at all, like less than 10% and that's with all the mods and reshade - and bootcamp isn't even as good as an actual windows PC so I know it would run even better on that! so crazy

I'll have to get used to using it on windows it seems lol 

Message 14 of 31 (662 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hey lovely, just wondering if you were able to check out the lots and see how they run on your computer?  I'm still having crashing issues even with small lots and hardly any objects. It seems to happen when I try to build walls and roofing or move objects around. I might try disabling packs one by one to see if any of them are making it worse?

Anyway I appreciate you looking into it!

Message 15 of 31 (561 Views)

@fantasims

I messaged you! I couldn't download the files as I didn't have permission, have a look in your inbox here Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 16 of 31 (536 Views)

★ Apprentice

O my goodness I'm such a noob lol I didn't even realize I'll go look now! so sorry! whoops!

Message 17 of 31 (526 Views)

★ Apprentice

UPDATE: game has also been crashing with tiny builds on the smallest lots even before I add a ton of objects to it. The culprit is mostly when I go to build an actual room, so using the wall tools and if I try to place a room inside a preexisting room. I spoke to someone who builds similarly to me on twitter - they have a newer Windows PC and they said the wall tool has been doing that for them, but instead of crashing like mine, it lags really badly. I'm thinking that whilst theirs might lag, mine probably crashes instead of lagging because my computer is older. Their wall tool seems to have started causing issues around the same time mine has. 

Several others on Twitter have said the same thing. 

I've also tried lowering graphics to the lowest setting and I'm still having issues. Origin is completely disabled in game and I always close the app so it is not running in background. Even without mods I'm having issues.

Message 18 of 31 (497 Views)

@fantasims

Can you upload your save for me too to test? I have a couple of Macs I can test it on and see if I can repro the lag. Makes sense if the other user is getting bad lag on a more powerful machine whereas yours is crashing.

Origin will be running in the background, it has to for the game to run. Clicking the red X only closes the window, not the app.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 19 of 31 (489 Views)

@fantasims

Do you have a link to the Windows user? Did they post specs?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 20 of 31 (486 Views)