Sims 4: Cannot Save Sims in CAS

by jordyndda

Original Post

Sims 4: Cannot Save Sims in CAS

★ Novice

I am playing Sims 4 on a Mac. 

After I recently updated my game, I have not been able to save sims in CAS because their library photos will not load when I click the checkmark and try to start the game. If I go into my library, the save of the household appears, however, it shows the photo as still loading and I'm unable to do anything with that household.

I have removed all mods and custom content, but the problem persists. I've tried repairing the game as well as reinstalling it. I have also deleted my Sims 4 folder and started a brand new game. Nothing has helped to solve this issue. At this point, the only way I can create and save a new household is by not editing the pre-made sim at all. 

I took the sim randomly generated at the beginning of CAS and started the game before going into the closet and editing them. This appeared to work as I was able to go back into the game with my sim fully edited, however, when I then tried to save the game it froze up and I had to force quit out of it. 

Any help would be seriously appreciated. 

Message 1 of 6 (1,655 Views)

Re: Sims 4: Cannot Save Sims in CAS

@jordyndda  It sounds like you already did almost everything that would be recommended.  But it might be worth running the Origin reset tool and disabling Origin in-game, if you haven't already.  And it's a good idea delete or move your TS4 game folder before each troubleshooting step, just to keep things simple.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

Someone with more expertise than I have will probably have more ideas when she shows up; in the meantime, it would be helpful to know the specs of your mac, as described in the following post.  Please also list the packs you have installed.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (1,633 Views)

★ Novice

I can try resetting Origin. I reset it a few days before this issue started in my game so I'm not sure if that will work. 

Specs of my Mac: 

• Operating System: macOS High Sierra Version10.13.6
  • Mac model: MacBook Pro 13inch mid-2012
  • Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
  • Memory (RAM): 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Packs Owned: 

• Get Together
  • Get to Work
  • Seasons
  • Cats and Dogs
  • Vampires
  • City Living
  • Outdoor Retreat
  • Spa Day
  • Toddler Stuff
  • Laundry Day
  • Parenthood
  • Jungle Adventure
  • Dine Out
  • Fitness Stuff
  • Kids Room Stuff
  • Romantic Garden Stuff
  • Spooky Stuff
  • Cool Kitchen Stuff
  • Perfect Patio Stuff
  • Luxury Party Stuff
Message 3 of 6 (1,621 Views)

[ Edited ]

@jordyndda  Do you really only have 4 GB RAM installed?  From your other specs, I'd expect it to have shipped with 8 GB.  That may be exactly the problem, though.  TS4 is not my area of expertise, but from your specs, I would suspect that your computer is running out of memory.  You have only 4 GB RAM installed, and High Sierra could be taking almost 3 GB of that.  TS4 is easier to run on weaker hardware than its immediate predecessor, but a little over 1 GB of available memory isn't nearly enough for the game to maneuver, especially in CAS.

Message 4 of 6 (1,611 Views)

★ Novice

An interesting thought. My computer is one of the older models that did ship with 4GB RAM. I might have to look into this a bit more. It's run for quite some time without an issue with High Sierra installed, but maybe it has come to that point. 

Message 5 of 6 (1,580 Views)

@jordyndda  You can keep an eye on RAM use in the Activity Monitor (in Applications\Utilities).  You'd have to be in windowed mode to switch back and forth, of course, but you could see how close you were to running out of memory at any given time.  This guide is for TS3, which requires frequent RAM purges during gameplay (at least in mac OS), but it might help you too:

https://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

Message 6 of 6 (1,570 Views)