Sims 3 won't load on MacBook Air. HELP.

by haylee_estelle

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I need help. I have tried a few things and nothing is working. I just got a new MacBook Air and I downloaded Sims 3 starter pack from Origin and everything was fine but when I went to play the launcher will not open. I click play and a little message pops up saying "unknown error occurred" and I don't know what to do. If I cannot get it to run, I want a refund.

Message 2 of 4 (654 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I need help. I have tried a few things and nothing is working. I just got a ned MacBook Air and I downloaded Sims 3 starter pack from Origin and everything was fine but when I went to play the launched will not open. I click play and a little message pops up saying "unknown error occurred" and I don't know what to do. If I cannot get it to run, I won't a refund.

Message 1 of 4 (657 Views)

Re: Sims 3 won't load on MacBook Air. HELP.

@haylee_estelle  First of all, macbook airs are not gaming computers and are generally not up to the task of running a game like TS3.  They're light on processing power, have weaker graphics cards, and (perhaps most importantly) their cooling systems can't really keep up with the heat this game will generate.  If you're hoping to play with just the base game and a couple of early packs, your computer might well be able to handle it, but trying to run the heaviest EPs (Pets, Seasons, then IP and ITF) is probably out of the question.  Even if you get them going, the strain could take years of the life of your computer.  You might be best served asking for a refund.  But the place to do it is with EA customer support.  No one here can even see your account details, much less remove a game from your library or issue a refund.

Having said all that, if you want to try to get the game going, there are some steps you can take.  The unknown error message is inevitable in certain circumstances, and there are a few workarounds to address its various causes.  If you'd like help with troubleshooting, post back here, and I'll walk you through the process.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 4 (642 Views)

Re: Sims 3 won't load on MacBook Air. HELP.

@haylee_estelle

Your issue affects most Mac players and is well documented on this forum. Please read this post - https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-Sims-3-Unknown-Error-in-El-Capitan-Sierra-High/...

Make sure you read the entire opening post as you need to apply two workarounds to try and get your game to work - adding in the packs missing from the Launcher and the accepted solution.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 4 of 4 (612 Views)