Sims 3 won't launch on Mac Pro, says "unexpected error" each time

by DumplingBlades

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 won't launch on Mac Pro, says "unexpected error" each time

★★★ Newbie

I downloaded Sims 3 through Origin for my 2016 Macbook Pro, attached a screenshot of my Mac's details. When I click play, a pop up says "unexpected error" even though the system requirements listed on Origin for this Sims 3 game are completely covered by my Macbook. I tried clearing the caches on Origin, restarting my laptop, and signing off and on, but this pop up still happens. 

Message 1 of 5 (546 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 3 won't launch on Mac Pro, says "unexpected error" each time

@DumplingBlades  Did you drag the Sims 3 folder out of Applications, or out of Documents?  Put another way, does that Sims 3 folder have icons for the base game, the uninstaller, and High-End Loft Stuff (that would be the one from Applications); or does it have things like ContentPatch, DCCache, DCBackup, etc. (the one from Documents)?  If you moved the one from Applications, put it back.  If you moved the one from Documents, that's fine—the game will just create a new folder.

Definitely run the patch, if you haven't already.  (You need to manually select the Sims 3 base game icon, a green plumbob, in Applications\The Sims 3.)  It's a good idea to run it even if the launcher claims to have patched the game already because the launcher does not always do a thorough job.

Next, please create an alias (icon) for Late Night in Applications\The Sims 3, alongside the ones for the base game, the uninstaller, and HELS.  This is fairly simple:

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-packs-not-showing-as-installed/

Try to launch the game, and let me know whether it works.  If you still get an unknown error, that means you'll need to add your graphics card to the game's .sgr files.  Bluebellflora has already written out the relevant text for your Intel 540:

https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Filesready

Just click on the link for the 540, follow the instructions in the Readme, edit both .sgr files, and test.  If it doesn't work, or you need help or clarification, let me know.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (455 Views)

All Replies

@DumplingBlades  Please list the packs you've installed, if any, and any you'd like to install but haven't.  Please also let me know whether you've tried uninstalling Sims 3 at any point.  If you haven't, then don't—it's more work to do a clean uninstall, but it would be better to start with one if you've done the normal uninstall, just to cover your bases.

Message 2 of 5 (498 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@puzzlezaddict , I installed The Sims 3 Starter Pack which includes The Sims 3, Late Night Expansion Pack, and High-End Loft Stuff Pack. I'd like to also download Sims 3 Pets if this still works. I have never tried uninstalling Sims 3 at any point. I did drag my Sims 3 folder to my desktop screen. I also found this patch from another thread and downloaded the one for my macbook, but it didn't change anything. 

Message 3 of 5 (467 Views)

@DumplingBlades  Did you drag the Sims 3 folder out of Applications, or out of Documents?  Put another way, does that Sims 3 folder have icons for the base game, the uninstaller, and High-End Loft Stuff (that would be the one from Applications); or does it have things like ContentPatch, DCCache, DCBackup, etc. (the one from Documents)?  If you moved the one from Applications, put it back.  If you moved the one from Documents, that's fine—the game will just create a new folder.

Definitely run the patch, if you haven't already.  (You need to manually select the Sims 3 base game icon, a green plumbob, in Applications\The Sims 3.)  It's a good idea to run it even if the launcher claims to have patched the game already because the launcher does not always do a thorough job.

Next, please create an alias (icon) for Late Night in Applications\The Sims 3, alongside the ones for the base game, the uninstaller, and HELS.  This is fairly simple:

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-packs-not-showing-as-installed/

Try to launch the game, and let me know whether it works.  If you still get an unknown error, that means you'll need to add your graphics card to the game's .sgr files.  Bluebellflora has already written out the relevant text for your Intel 540:

https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Filesready

Just click on the link for the 540, follow the instructions in the Readme, edit both .sgr files, and test.  If it doesn't work, or you need help or clarification, let me know.

Message 4 of 5 (456 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much!!! This worked! The biggest help was this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=F3T-Z492Hjo&feature=emb_logo

I was even able to download Sims 3 Pets and followed the same steps and now it has loaded! Thank you again!

Message 5 of 5 (436 Views)