Re: Sims 3 takes up 190.43 gb

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Sims 3 takes up 190.43 gb

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

why the heck does my game take up this much space ??

i am running on a mac and had to copy a bunch of game files around to make the game actually work, but they're game files that should be there anyways. 

i have cc and mods, but not 130gb worth of, and its a stretch to assume the game takes up 60gb usually. Most people online say ~37gb. so what is this extra 150 gb ? I'm confused. 

edit: I have the game and all expansions, no stuff packs.

Message 1 of 3 (607 Views)

[ Edited ]

I agree that 190 GB is way too much, even if you have all the EPs.  You can narrow down where the bulk of the data is by going on a bit of a scavenger hunt—right-click on the TS3 icon in Applications and choose "show package contents."  Open Contents (that's the only folder I have), and then right-click and "get info" on the folders inside.  I see three folders: Frameworks and mac OS take up minimal space, and then Resources should contain the most of your 190 GB.

Inside Resources are various language folders that are under 1 MB apiece, a few other small folders and icons, and two large folders called AddOns and transgaming.  Out of the 13 GB or so that my base game, one EP and two SPs take up, AddOns is 5.7 GB and transgaming is 7.84 GB.  I don't know how those two folders tend to grow relative to each other as you add more packs, but neither should be anywhere near 100 GB.  My AddOns folder only has the uninstaller (less than 1 MB), Ambitions (2.63 GB), HELS (353.8 MB), and Master Suite (2.73 GB, because as the newest pack, it also contains the files for Ambitions).  The thing to note here is that I did not add my Ambitions folder to HELS as I installed that SP at the same time as MS.  If you've added folders for Ambitions and Late Night to each successive pack, that may be the source of your problem.  If not, look at the transgaming folder.  I can break that down for you as well if you need it.

Please let me know what you find.  If AddOns isn't the problem, we can go over transgaming, as well as any other folders that are larger than they need to be.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (582 Views)

@marlatrips

Has @puzzlezaddict's suggestions helped at all? 

I'm curious to know which 3rd party that screenshot is from? Your CC/Mods will not be in the Applications folder but in the Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 folder so shouldn't even be included in that size.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 3 (537 Views)