Re: [CURRENT ISSUE] Sims 3 Expansion Packs not downloading in Origin

by Morganighte

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 packs not downloading through Origin: mac OS

[ Edited ]

UPDATE:  If you are on a mac and have been unable to download one or more packs from Origin, EA is asking for some information and an error report.  Please see this post for details and instructions on how to gather the information.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/Sims-3-packs-not-downloading-through-Origin-mac-OS/m-p/713198...

There have been a number of reports recently of certain TS3 expansion packs refusing to download through Origin.  The problem seems to affect players in both Windows and mac OS, and certain packs more than others.  So I'm putting together a couple of master threads to gather more information on the subject.  This is the mac version; you can find the Windows thread here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Sims-3-packs-not-downloading-through-Origin-Windows/m-p/7123993...

On that note, if you're experiencing problems downloading any TS3 packs from your Origin library, it would be very helpful if you could click the Me Too button and answer the following questions:

1)  Which version of mac OS are you running?  You can find out by clicking the Apple logo in the upper left corner of your screen and selecting About This Mac.

2)  Which packs are you unable to download from Origin?  Have you been able to successfully install any other packs recently, and if so, which ones?  Also, if you know whether your packs are the standard or limited edition versions, please list that too.

3)  When you click the button to download a problem pack, what happens?  Do you get any errors; does Origin refuse to quit or become unresponsive, and you have to "Force Quit" it; etc.?

4)  Does it help to reset Origin or do a clean uninstall and reinstall of Origin itself?

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-uninstall-origin-on-a-mac/

Any extra information you'd like to share will be very much appreciated, and I'll keep this thread updated.

Also, please note that this is a very specific problem: Origin refusing to download expansion packs for The Sims 3.  If you're having any other problems with Origin, whether for TS3 or other games, please start a new thread, either here (for TS3-specific issues) or in the Origin forum.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 9 of 40 (7,245 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 3 packs not downloading through Origin: mac OS

[ Edited ]

Edit:  I'm marking this as a solution because we have confirmation that it worked for someone besides me (thanks again, @hobbitt55).  Even though it's a workaround, not a proper fix, I want people having this issue to find this post more easily.  When EA has fixed the bug for good, I'll post back (again).

There may finally be a workaround for this issue.  Thanks to EA_Jason for staying on the case and offering this approach.

First, it's a good idea to run the Origin reset tool for macs.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

When you launch Origin again, you can decline its offer to collect your data and keep itself and your games updated.  After signing in, hover over your username at the bottom of the Origin window and select Application Settings.  Under Application (the first tab), scroll to Client Update, and enable Automatic Game Updates.

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 10.44.10 AM.png

Then quit Origin and relaunch; the app should offer to download any packs you don't currently have installed.  Once you've declined these offers, Origin won't show them again unless you reset it and reenable game updates.

Please post back letting us know whether this approach works for you.  More information is always appreciated.

Tagging @Morganighte @tanyab2003 @s0e0a @zoqswer @sammyb2298 @Fwtaki and @smilerayy for updates.

View in thread

Message 26 of 40 (9,488 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

@Pocket-Sirene I am currently facing the same issue and have hard uninstalled and then reinstalled origin. I am running it on Mac. I have the base game and have 4 expansion packs:

• Sims 3 Late Night (installed)
  • Sims 3 Supernatural (will not download)
  • Sims 3 University Life (will not download)
  • Sims 3 Island Paradise (Installed)

When I press download in Origin simply nothing happens, no downloads, no download manager. It seems like a bug I cannot get around Devil

Since we both have problems with the University Life expansion, maybe its a common bug?

Message 1 of 40 (7,429 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict I tried running the Origin reset tool and uninstalling the hard way to unfortunately still be left with the same problem. Disappointed

Hopefully this can get resolved, I've been wanting to play TS3 for ages. I have attached my specs as requested. Thank you so much for your help tho Heart

Message 2 of 40 (7,337 Views)

@Morganighte  Thanks for the information.  Hopefully, EA will have a solution or workaround soon for mac people.  In the meantime, you can check this thread for updates.  (And I hope you get to play again soon too.)

Message 3 of 40 (7,338 Views)

Sims 3 University Life won't download?

★★★ Novice

So I have Origin on my Macbook Air, and I recently downloaded the Sims 3 and the Generations expansion pack. It works great! Now, I want to add in University Life into the mix, but when I press the download button in the Origin client, literally nothing happens. I tried the fix where you go and look at the installers and do it manually, but there are no installers in my download cache. Please help!!! Other expansion packs will begin downloads no problem- but University Life specifically won't.

Message 4 of 40 (7,330 Views)

Re: Sims 3 University Life won't download?

[ Edited ]

@tanyab2003  I've moved your post to the ongoing thread about this subject—it's easier to keep all the information in one place.  Unfortunately, there's no fix now, but hopefully one will be forthcoming soon.

In the meantime, it would be great if you could provide more information.  Have you installed any other packs besides Generations, and do any others besides University Life not download?  The specs of your mac would also be helpful.  Here's how to provide them:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

Message 5 of 40 (7,314 Views)

★★★ Novice
I had Island Paradise, which again, worked great on my Mac, but I uninstalled it to install Generations and University Life, so that it wouldn't be a huge load on my Mac. It looks like Supernatural and Pets both have the same problem.

My Mac's specs are:

macOS Sierra version 10.12.6

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)

Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB
Message 6 of 40 (7,305 Views)

@tanyab2003  Thanks for the information.  Several of us are having trouble with not only University Life but Pets and Supernatural as well (and in my case, ITF, Seasons, and Showtime).  Hopefully someone from EA will be able to offer a solution soon, but in the meantime, there's not much any of us can do.

Message 7 of 40 (7,296 Views)

It would also be useful to know if the packs are the standard ones or limited edition. For example, the limited edition version of University Life downloads fine but the standard one doesn’t.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 8 of 40 (7,276 Views)

Re: Sims 3 packs not downloading through Origin: mac OS

[ Edited ]

Update:  EA is trying to gather information on this ongoing issue.  If you're on a mac and can't download some of your content through Origin, it would be a big help if you could provide some logs and make an error report.  EA_Jason will collect the reports and remove the files from your posts.

To report an Origin error, go to Applications and right-click on the Origin icon.  Select "Show Package Contents," then Contents\Applications.  Open OriginER and fill out the form (it's very short).  Please do this immediately after you experience issues.

EA would also like to see your install logs.  Open a Finder window, then click on Go at the top of your screen and hold down the option key.  Select Library from the dropdown menu, then Application Support\Origin\Logs.  Highlight the logs, then right-click and select Compress.  You'll now have a zipped file that you can attach to a post here (use the Browse button).  Tag @EA_Jason in your post, and he'll collect the files.

Edit:  It looks like a lot of people can't attach a zip file to a post here, so the best thing to do is to upload it to a filesharing site and send EA_Jason the link.  If you don't already have an account, you can create a free one with a free site like Mediafire.

Message 10 of 40 (7,113 Views)