Sims 3 package files not working, even though the script package files are

by scarletwood

Original Post

Sims 3 package files not working, even though the script package files are

★★ Novice

Hiya. I have recently upgraded to the 64 bit and therefore moved all my files over to the new game. This was all fine and all my .package files, .sims3pack files and script mods were working as normal. I played for quite a while this way with absolutely no issues. However I installed another Script Mod recently that just stopped my game from opening and it would crash immediately if I tried to run it. In order to fix this I removed the folder and created a new sims 3 one by running the game with out a folder. I then bit by bit downloaded all my sims 3 packs files which took me about 3 days without overloading the game, and then I put all of my package files bit by bit again, checking everytime I put some in to check if it crashed my game. The game opened and ran fine and I had taken out the cc that broke my game. I thought everything was back to normal and fine. However when I went to play the game a lot of my Package files are missing, that I can see clearly in the mods folder next to other packages that have installed. All of my script mods in that folder are also listed when I open up the game. I know it is missing because I went into build mode and all of my furnishing cc that are .package files are not showing up in game, yet I can see their files within the mods folder like normal. I have changed nothing from when it was working before when I also played with 64 bit, and I can't play any of my games without that cc because all of my sims use it. I have also deleted all of those cache files people tell you to delete to try and fix it, but with no results. It is really confusing me why some cc is showing up and why others are not, and if anyone could help me I would be so thankful. Oh I am Playing on a Mac too.

Message 1 of 6 (1,280 Views)

Re: Sims 3 package files not working, even though the script package files are

@scarletwood  Just to clarify, are you missing the custom content in your sims' houses, or is it also not showing up in Build/Buy?  If you saved with the cc missing, it would still be missing from your saves after you added the .package files back, although you could place the items again.

If that's not the issue, please right-click on the Mods folder where you see the custom content that doesn't show up and select Get Info.  The file path to that folder will be listed under "Where"; please copy and paste it here.  You can write [username] instead of your actual username if you want.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (1,263 Views)

★★ Novice

Hiya, no they are not showing up in my build and buy. This is what was listed under where: /Users/username/Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Mods

Message 3 of 6 (1,259 Views)

@scarletwood  Did you delete the five cache files in the Sims 3 user folder when you added back the custom content?  Actually, try deleting them again now, regardless.  For reference, they are:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

If that doesn't help, try starting with a clean user folder.  Move the Sims 3 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts, open the launcher to spawn a clean folder, set up the Mods framework again, add one mod, and make sure it shows in-game, and that no other mods are showing.  (This is to control for the possibility that the game is using a second Sims 3 folder somewhere on your computer.)  If everything is as expected, download a fresh copy of one of the .package files that hasn't been working and see whether it shows up.

Message 4 of 6 (1,249 Views)

★★ Novice

Okay so I created a whole new file, and I set up all the mod framework again. I added one package file to the folder to see if packages would show up in game, when I went into build mode it was not there. I have no idea why it is doing this, the resource cfg file is in the mods folder and no other mod files are connected to it.

Message 5 of 6 (1,209 Views)

@scarletwood  Can you send me links to a couple of the items that aren't working?  It would have to be by private message, since links to mods and custom content aren't allowed on this site.  I'll check them out in my game and see if I can spot any issues.  And if they don't work for me either, perhaps they're just broken.

Message 6 of 6 (1,205 Views)