Sims 3 on Mac 'Serious Error Has Occurred' when I try to load save

by Diamondonmyteeth

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 on Mac 'Serious Error Has Occurred' when I try to load save

★★ Novice

I've recently gotten a Mac and have been switching everything across from my old PC. It's taken a while, but Sims 3 seems to be working pretty well. I got the 64 bit version, and DLC installs fine (it took a bit for that to work but now it's fine) and while I haven't played too much it seems to run perfectly well.

My issue is trying to copy my save across. I have the save files (3 rotating saves of one family), but everytime I try to click on it to play it comes up with the 'serious error has occurred' message. My family is living in Monte Vista, but the world is installed and runs, so I don't think it's that. I don't have ALL the store content that I had before since I can't remember what all of it is, but it would only be Build/Buy and CAS items. I would've thought the game would just replace that. I'm more than happy to manually install stuff like that again.

I checked my save files; I don't have a .backup file either here or on my old computer and I doubt I would've deleted it as I copied those three files. I don't have any CC that isn't from the store and only a few NRaas mods.

It seems like trying to get it onto the Mac has deleted the DLC from my old computer, so it might be tricky to go back and get anything off there. I still have the files, but I don't even know where reinstalling Monte Vista would fix anything, or whether it might make things even worse on both ends.

Am I doomed to lose this family that I'ved played for so long?  

Message 1 of 3 (344 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 3 on Mac 'Serious Error Has Occurred' when I try to load save

@Diamondonmyteeth  Do you have all the same expansion and stuff packs installed on your Mac that you did on your PC?  Does a new save in Monte Vista load properly?  Please test to find out, and if it loads, play for a few minutes, save your progress, quit, and make sure that new save loads.

It's possible that the save files themselves were corrupted in the transfer.  You can try transferring them again, but this time, zip the Saves folder before moving it.  Windows and macOS can both compress and extract .zip files; right-click to see the options.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (338 Views)

All Replies

@Diamondonmyteeth  Do you have all the same expansion and stuff packs installed on your Mac that you did on your PC?  Does a new save in Monte Vista load properly?  Please test to find out, and if it loads, play for a few minutes, save your progress, quit, and make sure that new save loads.

It's possible that the save files themselves were corrupted in the transfer.  You can try transferring them again, but this time, zip the Saves folder before moving it.  Windows and macOS can both compress and extract .zip files; right-click to see the options.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 3 (339 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you so much. Copying the files over again worked. It's all there and working now.

Message 3 of 3 (294 Views)