Sims 3 not launching on APFS: unsupported compressor 8

by JackMacWindows

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 not launching on APFS: unsupported compressor 8

★★ Novice

I tried playing The Sims 3 on my Mac running 10.13, but it launches for a second before crashing. I opened the launcher in the terminal, and it gave various errors such as “Error: unsupported compressor 8” and “Unknown compression scheme encountered for file”. It seems from looking around the internet that it’s related to a bug with Wine/Cider on APFS. My game is updated to the latest version. I am currently adding an HFS+ partition to see if it will still load on a non-APFS partition.

Message 1 of 3 (1,234 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 3 not launching on APFS: unsupported compressor 8

★★ Novice

Nevermind, just realized that I had incorrect permissions on my preferences folder. For anyone else finding this, IT IS NOT A FATAL ERROR. You can still run the game with this error present, so make sure to check the base game’s errors as well.

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (1,306 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

Nevermind, just realized that I had incorrect permissions on my preferences folder. For anyone else finding this, IT IS NOT A FATAL ERROR. You can still run the game with this error present, so make sure to check the base game’s errors as well.

Message 2 of 3 (1,307 Views)

@JackMacWindows

It's not just APFS related, the error has been around ever since the game was released back in 2009 and can normally be linked back to the Cider implementation. We have come up with fixes for some of the causes but the game has not been updated since January 2014 so versions of macOS released since Mavericks, realistically Mountain Lion, are just not supported at all. Neither is the hardware in most Macs produced since 2013.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 3 (1,191 Views)