Sims 3 not launching on 2017 Mac

by player893tiffany

Original Post

Sims 3 not launching on 2017 Mac

★ Novice

I recently installed The Sims 3 base game and some expansion packs from Origin, and after a hiccup with installation that was resolved, the game now won't launch. It's got the 1.67 patch update, but whenever I try to launch the game, it goes to seasons (the last one I installed) and says "Unknown error occurred". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7 (535 Views)

Re: Sims 3 not launching on 2017 Mac

@player893tiffany  Please list the packs you've installed.  A few of them need extra help to get running, but how exactly to do that depends on which packs are involved.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 7 (511 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict 

Hi, I've downloaded and installed aside from the base game:

Generations

High End Loft Stuff

Pets

Seasons

Message 3 of 7 (486 Views)

@player893tiffany  Strange, so the base game alone launched, but the base game plus all those packs didn't?  Have you uninstalled any packs at any point?  Please also list the full specs of your Mac, as described here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting...

Message 4 of 7 (483 Views)

★ Novice

I haven't launched the base game, I installed the base game first followed by the expansion packs listed above before attempting to open it. 

I uninstalled origin when there were issues with the download, and restarted the MacBook and then didn't have a problem with installation. 

Computer Specs: 

Retina, 12-inch, 2017

1.2GHz intel core m3

8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3 memory

Intel HD Graphics 615 1536 MB graphics

Could it be that my MacBook needs a software update? Could that be the issue? I've just noticed that.

Message 5 of 7 (475 Views)

@player893tiffany  If you want to play Sims 3, do not update to Catalina.  Sims 3 is a 32-bit app, and Catalina is 64-bit only, as in, it doesn't run anything 32-bit.  You can update to Mojave if you want, but it doesn't make any difference to Sims 3 most of the time.

What you need to do is add your graphics card to the game's database.  To do so, you'll need to edit two files, graphicscards.sgr and graphicsrules.sgr, located within the game's package contents.  To get there, right-click (or hold down crtl and click) on the Sims 3 icon, and select Show Package Contents.  From there, the file path is:

Contets\Resources\transgaming\c_drive\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin

Open graphicscards.sgr (TextEdit works fine), and cmd-F to search for 8086.  This will take you to these lines:

vendor "Intel" 0x8086
card 0x0042 "Havendale"
card 0x0046 "Havendale"

Under the line that says Intel, create a new line and copy and paste this:

card 0x591e "Intel HD Graphics 615"

(Don't write it out yourself, or TextEdit will change the formatting slightly and mess things up.)  Save, quit, and open graphicsrules.sgr.  Search for Havendale, which will take you here:

if (match("${cardName}", "*Havendale*"))
seti cardLevel $cardLevelMedium
seti isCardMatched true

elseif (match("${cardName}", "*4?00*"))

Create a new line after true and before elseif, and copy and paste this:

if (match("${cardName}", "*HD Graphics 615*"))
	seti cardLevel $cardLevelMedium
	seti isCardMatched true

Save, quit, and try to launch the game.  Let me know whether it works.  Either way, please go into Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3, open the file called deviceconfig.log (if you have one), copy the 15 or so lines between "Graphics device info" and "Options," and paste them into a reply.

Message 6 of 7 (461 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks so much for your help! I ended up fixing it with this link 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDdtZIuu89I

It seems like one of my expansion packs (Seasons I believe) was the troublesome install.

Message 7 of 7 (440 Views)