Re: Sims 3 launch crashes when downloading Sims3packs

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 launch crashes when downloading Sims3packs

★★★ Apprentice

Hi, I been having issues with my launcher where I go to install sims3packs it open up a new tab and it says "The last time you opened The Sims 3, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen its windows again?" and i reopen it and it gives me a problem report and it crashes every time and I have repaired it multiple times and I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it keeps on happening can someone help me solve this.

Message 1 of 10 (1,588 Views)

Accepted Solution

@wastedlizzy  It looks like you're trying to install a large number of items at a time.  Please just try one and see what happens.  Even if all the content is fine overall, the launcher doesn't handle large amounts of data very well.

And again, be sure to test in a new Sims 3 folder, one that doesn't already have any content installed.  The first step is to see whether you can install anything at all.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 8 of 10 (1,469 Views)

All Replies

@wastedlizzy  One cause, perhaps the most common one, of the launcher crashing is bad custom content.  If you open the launcher's Installed Content tab without actually trying to install anything, does it crash?  Do you see any custom content you didn't mean to install, and if so, does it help to uninstall the item(s) in question?

If the launcher still crashes when you're simply scrolling through the installed content, you can use Method by Mell, described here, to examine one .dbc file at a time:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-get-rid-of-unwanted-custom-content.html

Hopefully you'll be able to remove any bad cc by uninstalling it, but if a particular .dbc file causes crashing even by itself, you can delete that file, rename the others sequentially as described, and keep the rest of your custom content.

If the launcher doesn't crash when you're viewing installed content, and you don't find any cc to uninstall, please try installing the new items in a clean user folder.  It's possible there's something wrong with one of the downloads, and this is the fastest way to find out.

Message 2 of 10 (1,568 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

When i open it up and good to the content tab it doesn't crash, and well i wanted to install some shoes and from there it started to crash on me whenever i wanted to install something new and i took out the sims 3 folder so it could create a new one but when i tried to install all of the cc it didn't want download and kept on crashing and i repaired the game first and tried it. Then i uninstalled the game and reinstalled it to see if the problem fixed itself and kept on crashing and when i tried to do the 50/50 method it still kept on crashing. I added screenshots to provide more details.

Message 3 of 10 (1,565 Views)

@wastedlizzy  Just to be clear, if you move the Sims 3 folder to your desktop, open the launcher to spawn a clean folder, add absolutely nothing to that folder, and only try to install one new item, does the launcher crash?  If so, the custom content itself might be corrupt.  If you want, I can take a look at it in my own game; just send me a link via PM.

It's also worth trying to instaall some other custom content, maybe something you already know is fine, just to make sure the install process works at all.  You can use an item you've already installed: add it to a clean Sims 3 folder, see whether it installs properly, then trash that folder.

The 50/50 method is great for what it does, but before you go there, the first step is to get to a place where the game is working properly with no added content at all, or in this case the launcher is installing cc with no other content present.

Message 4 of 10 (1,536 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

So i did what you suggested and I added one item and It crashed and i used i know it works because i have perviously installed it and it worked fine until recently and when i add new cc in it will open and then close. and i have retried to repair it again but it doesn't work

Message 5 of 10 (1,526 Views)

@wastedlizzy  Do you have iCloud running?  If so, try disabling its auto syncing of Documents with cloud storage.

If that doesn't help, try installing into a new admin user account on your Mac.  You'll still be able to sign into your current Origin account, but your existing user data won't be available.  The point is to see whether the issue is something in your account or with the game.

Message 6 of 10 (1,518 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I don't have iCloud on and I created an new admin and it still crashes when I try to install cc and it says this 

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 5.48.59 PM.png

Message 7 of 10 (1,484 Views)

@wastedlizzy  It looks like you're trying to install a large number of items at a time.  Please just try one and see what happens.  Even if all the content is fine overall, the launcher doesn't handle large amounts of data very well.

And again, be sure to test in a new Sims 3 folder, one that doesn't already have any content installed.  The first step is to see whether you can install anything at all.

Message 8 of 10 (1,470 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Hello, sorry for the late reply, but i got flustered and gave up but i made a new sims 3 file and and downloaded Leah Lillith All Night Hair and it worked.

Message 9 of 10 (1,349 Views)

@wastedlizzy  Alright, let me know if you need any more help.

Message 10 of 10 (1,338 Views)