Re: Sims 3 keeps crashing whenever the game clock is at 01.42pm.

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Sims 3 keeps crashing whenever the game clock is at 01.42pm.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

The game completely freezes when the game clock strikes 01.42pm. Ive tried re setting origin, that only deleted my store content and I am unable to re install. Running on a 2020 MacBook Pro running MacOS Big Sur.

Please post a solution, Thanks.

Message 1 of 8 (820 Views)

@wilsmith1924  For the store content, repair the game: open your Origin game library, right-click on the Sims 3 icon, and select Repair.  Running the Origin reset tool removes a couple of files that are necessary to make store and custom content work, and repairing puts them back.

The most common cause of this kind of issue is a sim spinning into a corrupt outfit at exactly the time the game freezes.  It's a bit early for a sim to be leaving for a 3 pm work shift, but that's certainly possible.  If you have custom content, try playing without it.  You don't have to save your progress; the point is to see whether this helps.  An outfit that contains bad cc could cause the problem, although outfits can be corrupt even without cc.  (A certain uniform for a female sim in the culinary career always seems to break for me, and I don't use cc.)

If that doesn't help, please let me know whether you use mods, specifically NRaas mods, or would be willing to add a few.  A MasterController town reset, or maybe a more targeted one, could help here.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 8 (808 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Repairing seems to have worked for the custom content, all back now. but it also happens with no custom content installed and I do not use mods ( Because I have no idea how ). It either freezes or I get a message stating 'The Sims 3 quit unexpectedly'. The game works on my main iMac but not my MacBook Pro. And I suppose I could add some mods if I need to.

Please advise, thanks.
Message 3 of 8 (783 Views)

@wilsmith1924  There are certainly non-mod-related ways to try to address this, but it's more of a guessing game to try to figure out what's wrong.  If you prefer though, the fastest approach is to evict a bunch of sims and delete their houses and see whether it helps.  If not, quit without saving and try different sims and houses, and maybe some community lots.  If this helps, try deleting only half of those same lots and see whether the problem is still gone.  You can start by using "save as" to rename the save, so your original remains intact while you experiment on a spare copy.

The point of this is to (hopefully) narrow down the source of the problem to one sim or lot.  If you can figure out what's causing the freeze, it should be simple enough to fix, whether it's replacing a house or community lot or adjusting a sim's outfit.

If you'd like to try using mods, the relevant ones here are NRaas ErrorTrap, Overwatch, and MasterController.  We can't post direct links to mods on this site, but google will know what you're looking for.  This is a good guide for installing mods:

https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

Be sure to delete scriptCache.package, inside Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 any time you add or remove a mod.

Once you've installed these mods, let the game run to around 1:35 pm.  Then click on City Hall and select NRaas > MasterController > Town Options > Reset Everything.  This command may take a few minutes to run, depending on the speed of your system and how complicated the world is.  Then run the game clock forward and see what happens.

By the way, ErrorTrap is chatty and will let you know when it fixes issues or does general cleanup.  This is perfectly normal.  If you get repeated scripterrors about a particular sim though, that may give you a clue as to what's causing the crashes.

Message 4 of 8 (778 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Okay, so I spoke to them and apparently Late Night was causing it. Offered no true solutions. Tried re setting and everything. This is my 11th issue in 2 weeks. Is it a problem with my computer? It works on my iMac without issue just not the MacBook.
Message 5 of 8 (739 Views)

@wilsmith1924  Your iMac likely has more powerful hardware than your laptop, but I doubt the laptop's hardware is too weak to run Late Night at all.  Among the many reports of crashing issues, that pack hasn't been definitively implicated; the only one with an obvious recurrent issue is Pets.  On the other hand, it's entirely possible that your laptop isn't running the game well.  This can be for any number of reasons, for example a cooling issue or a graphics driver that isn't fully compatible with Sims 3.

If you'd like to post the specs of your laptop, and your iMac for comparison, more information is always helpful.  What I'd want is everything under About This Mac (click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen) except for the serial number.  But a hardware or driver issue isn't something that you or I could fix, or probably even diagnose directly, so it's more about comparing different players' experiences.

Out of curiosity, who exactly said LN was a problem, and how is it a problem?  It's possible that some feature of LN was firing at or around 1:42 pm, in which case not having the pack present would prevent the issue.  But it would be useful to know which feature that was, and in what context it can cause a crash.

Message 6 of 8 (735 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddictMacBook Pro 2020 13 inch.
1.4 GHz Quad Core Intel Core i5
8GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 645 1536 MB

Also it was someone on the EA live chat. But I got no solutions then it unexpectedly ended. And whenever Ive contacted them the option always disappears after a week. Don’t know why.

Message 7 of 8 (722 Views)

@wilsmith1924  Not to disparage the help provided by EA customer support, but I know for a fact there hasn't been a documented issue with the Late Night pack in 64-bit.  Again, it's possible that a feature of LN is the problem in your case, but the pack itself appears to be generally fine.

Contact options can be a bit strange, shifting depending on the categories you choose, your language and location, and the time of day.  The current situation has only exacerbated that.

Your graphics chip is one of those that has trouble with the Pets expansion, and also sometimes with the lighting and tree detail graphics settings being higher than the minimum.  That shouldn't cause a reliable crash at the same exact sim-time though, which is why I suspect it's something firing in-game that's causing the problems.

Message 8 of 8 (707 Views)