Re: Sims 3 crashes instantly when I start playing life mode (Bridgeport)

by jbt0402

Original Post

Sims 3 crashes instantly when I start playing life mode (Bridgeport)

★★★ Novice

Hello,

I just installed Late Night and I'm so excited to play, only I can't. I can open Bridgeport world, create a new sim but when I move them to a house and want to start playing, my game instantly crashes. I created one sim and his pet dog, maybe the dog in Bridgeport is the issue? 

I get the following crash report from my Macbook:

Process: The Sims 3 [34157]
Path: /Users/USER/*/Sims3Launcher.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/The Sims 3.app/Contents/MacOS/The Sims 3
Identifier: com.ea.mac.thesims3.game
Version: 1.0 Soccer ball
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2021-03-11 19:09:41.950 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.15.4 (19E266)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 4.4 (17P4263)
Anonymous UUID: 5AC0FCAF-5970-5FB3-B7C6-F03B65AE649B

Sleep/Wake UUID: 965F95EE-EF4C-40C2-9471-75DFEA45DD5B

Time Awake Since Boot: 490000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 11000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [34157]

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

And then a * of threads...

I've tried removing the Sims 3 folder from the Electronic Arts folder so it creates a new one, but this hasn't solved it. Maybe it has something to do with segmentation fault 11? 

Please help, I really wanna play this game <3 

Thank you!

Message 1 of 5 (423 Views)

[ Edited ]

@jbt0402  The issue may actually be moving in a household that includes a dog.  I don't know what hardware you have, and I'd like to see a deviceconfig from this computer, but people playing on integrated Intel chips have reported that playing with Pets causes frequent crashes, especially in the moving in phase when a pet is part of the household.

It's easy enough to test: try moving in a single sim in Bridgeport and let me know what happens.

For the deviceconfig, it's in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3, and you can attach it to a post.  If you'd like, open it in TextEdit first and remove your user and computer names, about 20 lines down.  The file doesn't contain any other personal information.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (412 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict 

Thank you for replying!

I updated my computer to MacOS Big Sur and restarted a game without a dog. It does work now, but the game freezes (happened 2 times, one time when I was in the elevator going up to my apartment, other time when I was moving around some stuff in the buy mode and then it froze when I went back to life mode).  I can move the pointer but the game doesn't respond to anything. 

I added the DeviceConfig.log

I read some stuff on this forum about some changes one can make to the game (to prevent sims from getting stuck in elevators and run the game more smoothly in Bridgeport), and I think I should be able to do these things, but my computer knowledge is quite limited, so I'd need like a step-by-step explanation. I wouldn't know where to start and I'm also scared I might * things up completely (even tho I don't care about losing my current game, because it literally lasted half a sim hour so far). 

Hopefully you can help me out! :D

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 3 of 5 (391 Views)

@jbt0402  The graphics chip in your laptop is one of the models that doesn't work well with pets, which is not a surprise given the issues you've described.  Some people with similar hardware manage to play with the Pets EP by making some compromises; others have to uninstall it entirely.

Before you spend a lot of time fixing Bridgeport, it's worth playing in Sunset Valley for a little while, with Pets still installed, to see whether the game is stable.  If you still get crashes in a world that has very few issues (and no elevators), then all the editing of Bridgeport you could do won't make enough of a difference.  But if you uninstall Pets, Bridgeport will likely run better overall, even if you still need to edit the apartment buildings.

As far as editing Bridgeport goes, I haven't done it myself, but I can certainly try to find a good tutorial somewhere.  There are plenty out there, and it might be easier if you read one or two and then asked questions as you were going through the process.

There's also a fixed version of Bridgeport available.  It's made by ellacharmed, who made edited versions of almost all EA worlds and whose work is highly regarded.  Using one of her worlds requires starting a new save, but you said you don't mind.  The question is whether you're willing to mess with the game's program files a bit to add her version of Bridgeport, or you'd rather use the EA default version and edit it yourself.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 5 (383 Views)

★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict 

Thank you!

These tips are very helpful! Sunset Valley runs quite smoothly. The game was flickering like crazy so I turned down all the visual effects to the lowest quality and now it's alright. I did place two clubs with elevators in the city and it crashed again, so I assume it has something to do with that. I will remove the elevator clubs (or just their elevator if that's possible) and see how it runs.

Message 5 of 5 (350 Views)