Re: Sims 3 certain packs not able to install?

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Sims 3 certain packs not able to install?

★ Novice

Hi there! 

I've been playing sims for years on my Mac (running on 10.11.6 El Captain) and recently I've experienced some problems. The packs I have purchased over the years are:

1. Ambitions
  2. Generations
  3. Island Paradise
  4. Late Night
  5. Pets
  6. Seasons
  7. Showtime
  8. Supernatural
  9. University Life
  10. World Adventures
  11. 70's, 80's, 90's Stuff
  12. High-End Loft Stuff 

I can download all of them successfully but I cannot install them all. I go through and I click the 'download' button on all of the other packs and the usual prompt pops-up with the code and then goes to the external installer except for Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, and University Life. In these packs I click on the download button and no prompt pops up with a code or anything to indicate installation. I've got the latest version of sims installed, I've uninstalled and re-downloaded the packs multiple times on different computers, uninstalled and reinstalled the origin client and I just can't seem to fix it. It's almost like the add to queue buttons and the download button just don't work on these expansions? Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 7 (1,228 Views)

★ Novice

I also get the notification that there's a download in progress when I try to launch the game, it doesn't say what is downloading or the percentage, just a green bar, with the packs that do install and if I click play it crashes and says theres an unknown error that occurred.

Message 2 of 7 (1,222 Views)

@jaeentwistle  I've moved your thread to the dedicated Sims/mac section, where you'll get mac-specific troubleshooting help.

For the download in progress message, try running the Origin reset tool for macs:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

The unknown error is to be expected when installing TS3 in the most recent versions of mac OS.  There are several causes, a couple of which you'll need to address.  The only question is whether you'll need to edit the game's .sgr files, which will depend on the graphics card of your mac.

For the other causes, you'll need to create an alias for each pack that doesn't already have one in Applications, which in your case probably applies to Ambitions and Late Night.  You'll also need to move certain files from these two packs into the folder for your most recent expansion by release date, which for you will be Island Paradise.

All three of these steps are covered in Bluebellflora's guide to installing TS3 in mac OS.  Please also make sure that you run the Super Patch as described:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/698...

If you have trouble with any of these steps, please feel free to post back with questions.  In that case, it would be helpful to know the specs of your mac, as described here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/475...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 7 (1,200 Views)

@jaeentwistle  Normally I wouldn't double-post, but certain packs downloading from Origin is a separate, recent issue that has yet to be resolved.  @EA_Jason is gathering information on the problem, and if you could contribute, it would be a big help.  Specifically, he's looking for you to submit an Origin Error Report and send him some Origin logs, if you're willing.

Start by running the Origin reset tool for macs.  Here's the link again:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

Then launch Origin, sign in, and immediately try to download one of the packs that isn't working.  (It will probably fail again.)  Then quit Origin, right-click its icon in Applications, and select Show Package Contents > Contents > Applications.  Open OriginER and fill out the error reporting form.  You can be brief—just list the packs that won't download for you.  When you click Submit, you'll get an ID for the error report.  Save this ID to send to EA_Jason.

Next, make sure a finder window is open.  Click on Go at the top of the screen, hold down the option key, and select Library from the dropdown menu.  Then open Application Support > Origin > Logs, and you should see several small log files.  You can highlight them all at once and then right-click and select Compress, and you'll get a zip file.  You can upload this to any free filesharing site like Mediafire.  Then send a private message to EA_Jason with the link to your log files and the error report ID.

I know this is a lot, but EA is still looking for more reports.  There are not that many of us who've run into this issue, and any information you could provide would be very much appreciated.

Message 4 of 7 (1,195 Views)

★ Novice
Cool I just did that
Message 5 of 7 (1,185 Views)

EA SPORTS FC Team
Got it, thanks for sending it on Standard smile
Jason.png
Message 6 of 7 (1,163 Views)

@jaeentwistle  There may be a workaround for the issue of your packs not downloading.  Please see this post for the details:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/Sims-3-packs-not-downloading-through-Origin-mac-OS/m-p/719785...

And please also post back letting us know whether it worked.

Message 7 of 7 (1,075 Views)