Sims 3 & Sim City

by FieryFiFi

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 & Sim City

★★ Novice

Hello, just updated to MacOS Big Sur, can I purchase Sims 3 and Sim City to play on my Mac?

Message 1 of 14 (805 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 3 & Sim City

@FieryFiFi  There's no good reason SimCity would run in Catalina and not Big Sur.  I wonder if the people posting are playing on M1 Macs, which are different enough that they might not run SimCity well even with Rosetta.  (That's translation software for running applications compiled for Intel Macs on the new ARM Macs.)  Regardless, you could wait a couple of weeks to see if it gets sorted out, or you could contact Aspyr, the developers who ported the game:

https://www.aspyr.com/games/simcity-complete-edition

Sims 3 definitely does run in Big Sur.  There's a new 64-bit version that was released at the end of October specifically for this reason, and it's a separate download from the old 32-bit version.  If you look at the system requirements on origin.com, you'll see that there are two sets for macOS, one for each version:

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/the-sims/the-sims-3#store-page-section-requirements

There are certain Macs that don't run Sims 3 as well, and that can't really run the Pets expansion at all.  But the Starter Pack (base game, Late Night, and High-End Loft Stuff) should be okay on any Mac as long as you're willing to adjust the graphics settings a bit.

As far as the console version of Sims 3 goes, the only options are Sims 3 and Sims 3 Pets, and they're quite different than the version for PC/Mac.  I don't think there are resorts at all in the console version.

If you're looking to buy Island Paradise for your Mac, there are extra steps to get the world of Isla Paradiso to run properly.  Unedited, it's so broken that it barely runs even on high-end gaming PCs, but it can be fixed with a little effort, or you can download a fixed version ready to play.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag

Just to be totally forthcoming, one major issue with the 64-bit version of Sims 3 is that open water isn't clickable, meaning all open water options are unavailable.  Some can be worked around, for example you can click on a dive spot and instruct a sim to dive.  And we hope this issue will still be fixed.  But it may not be, and that's a significant part of the IP expansion pack that doesn't work at all.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 14 (770 Views)

All Replies

@FieryFiFi  The 64-bit version of Sims 3 does run in Big Sur, so yes, you can buy and play it.  However, while the the 64-bit version is supposed to be added automatically, that sometimes doesn't happen.  The solution in that case it to contact EA customer support and ask that the "entitlement," as it's called, for the 64-bit version be added to your account.

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

The version of SimCity in Origin is 32-bit and won't run in Big Sur.  If you want to play it, you'll need to buy the version available in the App Store, which was updated to run in 64-bit a while back.

Message 2 of 14 (794 Views)

★★ Novice

Wow, so grateful to get a reply thanks sooooo much, my Hero hehe! I'm sorry to sound like I don't know what I'm talking about but I don't know what I'm talking about!!  You say I can get the Sim City in the App Store? I just popped over there but it says this in reviews as attached, I'm soooooo sad, I was so looking forward to playing this game, an old favourite!! 

Regarding Sims 3, it actually says on the Origin page that it doesn't run with Catalina so I'm hesitant to buy it in case it's a waste of money and won't open? I actually have the XBox1X and my daughter and I are busting to play Sims 3 Island and run a resort but we can't seem to get it on Xbox either, which seems weird, only Sims 4!..Wondering, if I were to find an Xbox Sims 3 disc somewhere would it be backward compatible do you think on XBOX1X?

Message 3 of 14 (778 Views)

@FieryFiFi  There's no good reason SimCity would run in Catalina and not Big Sur.  I wonder if the people posting are playing on M1 Macs, which are different enough that they might not run SimCity well even with Rosetta.  (That's translation software for running applications compiled for Intel Macs on the new ARM Macs.)  Regardless, you could wait a couple of weeks to see if it gets sorted out, or you could contact Aspyr, the developers who ported the game:

https://www.aspyr.com/games/simcity-complete-edition

Sims 3 definitely does run in Big Sur.  There's a new 64-bit version that was released at the end of October specifically for this reason, and it's a separate download from the old 32-bit version.  If you look at the system requirements on origin.com, you'll see that there are two sets for macOS, one for each version:

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/the-sims/the-sims-3#store-page-section-requirements

There are certain Macs that don't run Sims 3 as well, and that can't really run the Pets expansion at all.  But the Starter Pack (base game, Late Night, and High-End Loft Stuff) should be okay on any Mac as long as you're willing to adjust the graphics settings a bit.

As far as the console version of Sims 3 goes, the only options are Sims 3 and Sims 3 Pets, and they're quite different than the version for PC/Mac.  I don't think there are resorts at all in the console version.

If you're looking to buy Island Paradise for your Mac, there are extra steps to get the world of Isla Paradiso to run properly.  Unedited, it's so broken that it barely runs even on high-end gaming PCs, but it can be fixed with a little effort, or you can download a fixed version ready to play.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag

Just to be totally forthcoming, one major issue with the 64-bit version of Sims 3 is that open water isn't clickable, meaning all open water options are unavailable.  Some can be worked around, for example you can click on a dive spot and instruct a sim to dive.  And we hope this issue will still be fixed.  But it may not be, and that's a significant part of the IP expansion pack that doesn't work at all.

Message 4 of 14 (771 Views)

★★ Novice

Oh my goodness, I really don't know what to do, was so keen to show my daughter these fun games, but I can't fix anything, so I might be biting off more than I can chew if I go down this path.  I have an old apple and a very old PC, I wonder if I try them over there?  Only problem of course is those old computers are so slow and poopy they might drive me totally nuts hehe!  Thank you soooo much for helping Hero!

Message 5 of 14 (766 Views)

@FieryFiFi  Honestly, I'd use the new Mac and not the old computers.  The 32-bit version of Sims 3 for macOS can only use 2 GB RAM, so gameplay can be quite limited if you want to play with a bunch of packs installed.  The game also doesn't run very well on low-end Windows PCs, seemingly worse than on equivalent Macs.  The 64-bit base game and a couple of packs should run at least okay on any new-ish Mac, although the settings you'd need to use would depend on your Mac.  Feel free to post its specs for a better idea of what you might expect; this is the relevant info:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/32-bit-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p...

SimCity might have to wait, at least until it's more clear whether the game is incompatible with Big Sur or just the very newest Macs.

Message 6 of 14 (705 Views)

★★ Novice

Again, I'm overwhelmed with your help, thank you so so much!

Message 7 of 14 (675 Views)

★★ Novice

Also, on a completely different matter, it might be wise to get some provisions, food, water and cash. Chatter I heard says we are in for a bumpy few weeks - globally - followed by a lovely Christmas. Thanks friend!

Message 8 of 14 (659 Views)

@FieryFiFi  Way ahead of you; I stocked up at the end of October in anticipation of an entirely different bumpy ride.  Good luck, and I'm glad I could help a bit.

Message 9 of 14 (650 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Sorry to bother you again Hero, wondering if there was any positive news for the Sims 3 and Sim City for us poor sods who upgraded to Big Sur?.... would love to buy these games for my daughter but too scared to after reading reviews on the App store.  Also, support wise, am I better off buying on the App store or directly through the Aspyr Store? I've included info on my system, not that I understand any of what it means!

Message 10 of 14 (560 Views)